Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: thinking about going into isolation

[ QUOTE ]
Not in the last 10 years. The challenge is a lot of what intrigues me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its suprisingly easy, well with a grocery nearby and civilization.

Buy a tent, waterproof the hell out of the seems (this is key) and take a weekend off at a state/national park. You'll have showers and a bathroom and feel amazingly isolated.

It will cost you $30 for the campsite and $100-$150 for the tent. but you'll either love it or hate it and the relaxation/introspective (sp? or hell even a word?) is priceless if you enjoy it.

Do the whole mess, campfire, cook some hot dogs, drink a crap load of beer and stare at the stars. I highly enjoy it and it changes my prespective on life everytime.
Old 10-30-2005, 11:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It will cost you $30 for the campsite and $100-$150 for the tent.

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the going rate for a night at a camp ground? I hope its not $30/night... that seems like a huge rip off.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:01 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been having these thoughts or feelings of wanting to get away for awhile. Away from everything I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
i totally know what you mean. want any company ?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 AM

depends anywhere from 12-30 a night(for state or national parks) with no power and yeah, big ripoff
Old 10-31-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Lately I've been having these thoughts or feelings of wanting to get away for awhile. Away from everything I mean.

[/ QUOTE ]
i totally know what you mean. want any company ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 10-31-2005, 12:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Dry is key. If you have the equipment to stay dry, then you can probably stay warm. Most established campgrounds, I would guess (though I'm unfamiliar with the Pacific NW) are closed for the season. As such, camping on state land would probably be, technically, illegal.

I'd try to find somewhere secluded, but not totally isolated. Out of visual and aural range, but actually close to other people. That way, if things go wrong, you aren't far, and if things go right, you'll never see or hear from people.

Also, I imagine the you will get substantial enjoyment from planning such an endeavour, let alone carrying it out. Three weeks of batteries. Three weeks of oil lamp. Clothing appropriate for the coldest weather possible in that region. A mix of healthy simple food. A couple notepads to write in, a few choice books---something new, something old.

If you have the time luxury to do this, and feel the need for isolation, go for it. The equipment is a must, but camping in crappy conditions really isn't that hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok this got me even more pumped up about it.

I'm going to look into campsites tomorrow and talk to some people who do spend time in the outdoors.

I was also thinking that maybe a cabin, if it is secluded and very basic could also work. I don't know if that would defeat some of the purpose and challenge though. thoughts?
Old 10-31-2005, 12:08 AM

Oregon isn't too cold in November, but it gets pretty wet. If you have the gear and are good at starting fires, then you should be fine. Get yourself some henry whinehardts (sp?) and have a blast.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:08 AM

Location: it\'s like a puzzle with pans. if you think about it.

[ QUOTE ]

I was also thinking that maybe a cabin, if it is secluded and very basic could also work. I don't know if that would defeat some of the purpose and challenge though. thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]
yes, let's stay in a cabin.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:10 AM

Instead of three weeks, work an extra week and GO somewhere cool like boundary waters, alaska, the desert, Mexico, etc. The farther out the better.

As for equipment, this will get you started:

http://www.msrcorp.com/stoves/whisper_intl.asp

Water filter

http://www.coldsteel.com/13rtk.html

Also, gore-tex is your friend.
Old 10-31-2005, 12:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I frequently think about doing something similar, but I don't like the outdoors.

[/ QUOTE ]

I frequently think about doing the same, and I love the outdoors. Unfortunately I don't live in a good area for it (Kansas), and things always come up to prevent me from going through with it in Colorado.

[/ QUOTE ]

See im not an outdoors person at all and its something I would normally choose to do. I'm definently a hotel guy over camping guy. But lately I don't know. I just feel like my days are filled with meaningless BS where no decision I actually make means anything. for instance what time do I get up? so what. Where do I go for lunch? so what. How many hands do I play? so what. etc etc

Now I don't know if spending time camping and away from it all would change that but for whatever the thought of it really excites me right now and is more realistic than the alternative for me which was going back in the army and trying to get to Iraq.

If that makes any sense