Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 12:52 PM

Default mscags

As some of you may be aware, mscags came to Canterbury for a few days during a break from school, Canterbury being one of few rooms where a guy his age can play legally. I probably wouldn't have gone down otherwise, but I don't get to meet stud forum members very often, so I went down there after Alison Krauss on Friday to see if he was still playing. Donated at the $4/8 stud game but didn't see him in any of the mid-limit hold'em games, so I went down after Steve Hackett last night to see if he was there. Still didn't see him, but I took a seat in the $6/12 stud game all the same. I played for a while, got stuck as usual, and around 1 am this kid takes a seat next to me. It's Scags. He actually had been in one of the $15/30 games Friday night, and was playing $30/60 when I arrived on Saturday. There aren't that many guys his age who play those games, and I usually recognize the ones who do, but I decided that Mike didn't look like his picture. He was looking for someone with a beard, but that's been gone for a while, and I have changed my picture, but anyway....

I would like to be able to share with you a story about some titanic struggle between Mike and myself, but unfortunately, he didn't play very many hands. Even four-handed, we didn't get in too many pots together. About the biggest hand we played: we're four-handed, low card brings it in, one fold, Scags completes with a King in the door, I call with (KT)T, bring-in folds. He bets fourth and fifth and I call, because calling is what I do best. On sixth, I make open Eights, bet, and take the pot, as Mike hadn't quite made a pair yet. <yawn>

Mike was witness to the fact that I don't always play as well as my posts might lead you to believe. He also got to hear conversations of a nature that you don't get in mid-limit hold'em games, like a dealer discussing Fermat's last theorem with "E" from my value bet post. Also, E and I having a spirited debate on who the best stud player in the room is. Admittedly, I'm biased, but there are a few others I'd rank ahead of E. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Long about 5:00 am we decide it's getting late or early or something and decide to call it quits. I didn't even think to see if the Krispy Kremes had come out yet. Mike is the first to rack up and was out the door, but came back to see if I'd give him a ride back to his hotel. It's less than a mile, and it's not like it was raining that hard or anything, but I took pity on him. Now you have to understand that my car is pretty much passenger-proof. I had cleared out some of the Cheerios boxes and Chipotle bags, but there are several dozen pop cans on the floor of the front passenger seat, so he couldn't really sit there. There are clothes and books and I don't remember what else on the back seat, but we cleared enough room for him to squeeze in there. I should do something about that some time.

Mike's pretty nice as college kids go [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] and plays pretty well from what I saw. I enjoyed playing with him and hope he can make it up again some time soon.
Old 10-23-2005, 01:50 PM

Default Re: mscags

What a cool story Andy - thanks for posting it. Stud forum is filled with great people it seems.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stud forum is filled with great people it seems.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true certainly true from my experiance with the DC/NOVA/MD group.

Andy - did Mike have the twins with him?
Old 10-23-2005, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That would have made him a lot easier to spot. Apparently, they were invited.

In other news, I learned what "the sexy" is. Still don't know what YSSCKY or whatever it is stands for.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No. That would have made him a lot easier to spot. Apparently, they were invited.

In other news, I learned what "the sexy" is. Still don't know what YSSCKY or whatever it is stands for.

[/ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY = You should seriously consider killing yourself.
I thought they'd cover that in mod orientation [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-23-2005, 03:05 PM

what is "the sexy"
Old 10-23-2005, 03:11 PM

Driving the hand the whole way and then check-raising on the end.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:20 PM

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
YSSCKY = You should seriously consider killing yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Y'know, I'm a mean-spirited SOB, but this crosses the line. Not that I never do....

I think I became a mod before I ever came across YSSCKY.

"Mod orientation." Ha.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think I became a mod before I ever came across YSSCKY.

[/ QUOTE ]

Stop by OOT sometime
Old 10-23-2005, 03:28 PM

No thanks.