Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 10:40 PM

Default hack my work computer to get web browsing capabilities

I just started a job and found out I would not get web browsing capabilities. Since my job is a 6month contract, I am considered a "temp", so I have severely curtailed internet access. I have access only to the company website, and the websites of a couple other companies in the same industry. Everything else (google, yahoo) brings up a "Websense" page that says "this page is blocked"

Is there some way I can get web access? Is it possible to do without an administrator account? They are running Windows and have a LAN. I dont know much about networks but I can provide more specific info if asked.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:02 PM

Default Re: hack my work computer to get web browsing capabilities

Websense looks like some kind of nannyware app installed on your PC... is it? If so, you'll probably have some difficulty getting around it in windows. If your googling comes up dry, you can always boot to a Knoppix live CD. You'll be in linux and can do little more than browse/post, but it's something [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

If you LAN's router is actually doing the filtering, there's probably nothing you can do short of remote control of your home system. Try windows Remote Desktop or VNC or Gotomypc (the only non-free solution). One of these should be open. Of course, if you don't have broadband at home, forget this idea too.

BTW, if you get fired for looking at boobies it's all on you man. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2005, 11:05 PM

Well the computer is sorta within view of a few people, so I couldn't load another operating system. I would have to be able to close the IE window quickly.

Explain your idea of a remote desktop. You mean from the same computer in my cubicle?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:06 AM

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...moteintro.mspx

Maybe asking for more web privs. might be a better solution?

gus
Old 10-05-2005, 12:16 AM

What, why would I want to remotely control my work computer, which doesnt have web browsing capabilities?
Old 10-05-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What, why would I want to remotely control my work computer, which doesnt have web browsing capabilities?

[/ QUOTE ]

*smacks forhead*
no, you use your work computer to remote control your home pc
Old 10-05-2005, 12:37 AM

WOW... now's thats an idea. But they will probably block that [censored]. This is a pharmaceutical company so they are very concerned with keeping [censored] secret.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Websense

best bet is RDP port is blocked so there wont be a away for you to remote to your home. Try a program like mywebexpc.com.

Websense is software that filters port 80 traffic (ie, www). It does not sit on a users machine. These are policy rules set by IT and authorized by the business.

There is no way around websense unless there is a proxy server or you can sit out on the DMZ...

GET BACK TO WORK TEMP!!!
Old 10-06-2005, 01:37 PM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!

[ QUOTE ]
Well the computer is sorta within view of a few people, so I couldn't load another operating system. I would have to be able to close the IE window quickly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds to me as if you are in a position where you'd be better off just accepting the restrictions, and not trying to get around them. Unless you don't care about keeping your job? All it will take is one person spotting you going somewhere you're not supposed to be to get you fired on the spot. They're serious about keeping you within strict boundaries; and trying to get past them, especially as a temp, is simply asking to get canned. It may be technically possible, but is it really worth it to you?

-Mike