Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 09-04-2005, 02:00 AM

Default Re: how the f did this magician do this trick

David Blaine is a hack.

If you want to see a ridiculously good magician, check out Tom Mullica.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:07 AM

Default Re: Spoiler

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is kinda along the same lines, but did anyone see the David Blaine specials last week? That man is sick! I still have no idea how he did some of that isht. Especially the levitation. And he also made some cat's signature appear on the dollar bill.

[/ QUOTE ]

The levitation is done by lifting him off the ground with a pulley system after everyone in the audience has gone home. The footage of him off the ground is then edited into the rest of the show.

Magic on TV is not any more impressive that explosions in movies (and other special effects). I think its actually less impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect sir, there is no pulley used. All he does is lift one foot off the ground and the toe of the other foot, raising both toes together at the same time. The heel of the second foot remains on the ground, but because of the angle it is being viewed at, it looks like both feet leave the ground. There are many pages you can google up to see for yourself.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:13 AM

Default Re: Spoiler

[ QUOTE ]
Incorrect sir, there is no pulley used. All he does is lift one foot off the ground and the toe of the other foot, raising both toes together at the same time. The heel of the second foot remains on the ground, but because of the angle it is being viewed at, it looks like both feet leave the ground. There are many pages you can google up to see for yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read his post again. There are two tricks he does, one where he is only a few inches off the ground and another where he is several feet of the ground. A pulley is used for the latter. The reaction of the crowd from the levetation you described is spliced into the footage of him several feet off the ground.
Old 09-04-2005, 02:24 AM

I can't explain the "four coins become three" trick.

But the "Scotch and Soda" one seems mighty simple to me (answer in white):

<font color="white">That Chinese coin is about the same size as a quarter, no? Why on earth would he use a Chinese coin, instead of a regular coin? My bet is, it looked Chinese when you put it in your hand, then it changed colors when your hand warmed it up. </font>
Old 09-04-2005, 02:26 AM

You have to believe we are magic
Nothin' can stand in our way
You have to believe we are magic
Don't let your aim ever stray
And if all your hopes survive
Your destiny will arrive
I'll bring all your dreams alive
For you
Old 09-04-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see why this trick is traditionally done in the magician's hand. I'm not a magician but when I was a kid I spent my fair share of time in joke shops/magic stores. I know they have coins that are hollow which will slip over one of the other coins used in the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the correct answer, esp. if the coins were of different denominations
Old 09-04-2005, 03:35 AM

I made a mistake in my original post. The trick used fifty-cent pieces, not silver dollars. And the magician had me inspect the coins ahead of time, so I'm pretty sure they were genuine, not special hollow coins.

The only response that was interesting was "he only put 3 coins in your hand." However, as I said, I counted 4 coins before closing my hand.
Old 09-04-2005, 11:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I made a mistake in my original post. The trick used fifty-cent pieces, not silver dollars. And the magician had me inspect the coins ahead of time, so I'm pretty sure they were genuine, not special hollow coins.

The only response that was interesting was "he only put 3 coins in your hand." However, as I said, I counted 4 coins before closing my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You inspected 4 coins, just not the same 4 coins he placed in your hand. This is really nothing special at all. I could teach you how to do it well in 20 minutes. As others pointed out one of the half dollars is a shell, it slips over one of the real half dollars. This is also how Scotch and Soda works only with a Chinese coin and half dollar(s).
Old 09-04-2005, 11:54 AM

Jimbo, seeing as you seem to know what you're talking about, please help me out. Thanks.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jimbo, seeing as you seem to know what you're talking about, please help me out. Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The response by Jedi was correct, use a fake thumbtip.

Thumbtip