Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 07-28-2005, 04:03 PM

Default Re: Dan Druff and Stars 100/200

When was the last time PokerStars validated their random number generator? I've played at PokerStars for several years off and on. I've been playing more SNG 1 table NL tournaments than anything else. I'm actually winning there, am happy with my results, and even got into the money at the limit hold'em WCOOP event last year so this is far from a complaint about bad beats. However, some things seem a little strange recently. I'm not playing alot of poker but almost all of it is at PokerStars. Getting back to the strangeness. It's probably more paranoia than anything else but one thing I've noticed I seem to get repeat hands during a SNG alot and as I said I've been playing mostly SNG 1 table NL hold'em. To be honest I don't know how often repeat hands should occur during the course of SNG 1 table tourney to be considered rare. There have been a few other things that seemed a bit odd but I concede that they're probably sparked by my paranoia over the repeat hands. Actually I've always thought PokerStars was on the square and never really suspected anything until recently and that suspicion is slight. Again my results recently are fine and I'm not seriously committed right now to playing so definitely take this FWIW. It's not a nagging concern just a mild one.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:29 PM

He plays very well. So does a few others at the high limits, and a lot plays decent. DanDruff has won a lot. And for other periods, I am sure he has run over "fishes" for far more money per hand than the gap in playing quality should indicate. Maybe at other sites than PokerStars, but still.

It's poker and it goes both ways (even for guys like him, as the Neverwin thread should testify).

I bet he had some insane luck on his way to the WSOP title too if we were to back track every single hand.

lars
Old 07-28-2005, 04:34 PM

All I said is I've seen weird things Live and Online? I guess that's not a rationale thing to say. Honestly have you watched many final tables on Stars weeklies. It'll be overpair vs 2 suited big cards and magically it's be top set vs flush draw, it happens all the time. I watch them every week. Obviously other people IE Dan Druff share my opinion. Obviously I don't care, I still play, I still love Stars poker, I think it's the best interface, but after watching rediculous flop after rediculous flop on the Stars weeklies and other final tables, I guess I'm pretty jaded of what possibly can happen.

I've seen bad beats live, I've seen them online, some weird hands just happen on Stars...as I've said earlier I can't comment on "wierd" occuarces on Party cause I don't watch there final tables. Did I say online poker was rigged, nope, I said it's weird about the action flops when 2 people are all in late in tournies. Honestly I watch the WPT, I play live all the time and I never see these miracles beats happening when 2 people are all in, at such consistantcy. I guess it's just variance.....I guess you haven't experienced this at all.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:36 PM

Lars-he cracked 2 people's sets on his way to the title (at the final table) (rivered straights and flushes). I guess he forgets those live "outliers."
Old 07-28-2005, 04:39 PM

I play my friend/poker guru/rooomate a total of 10 times in cash 200-400 freezeouts, the beats and "action flops" that happen have been ridiculous, not one match has gone down where something as you just described --hasn't happened-and at a crucial point, hell we played 3-handed on friday with another friend, we were all dealt 6-2o.

I'm pretty sure I'm shuffling right.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:41 PM

By the way, I have just finished reading DanDruff's post at Neverwinpoker.

There is NOTHING special with those hands. Lets see. It's eight hands. One of those, he was never ahead. Granted, losing with top two on a threesuited board is a bit bad, but not much more either. AA w/nutflushdraw on the flop, losing to a better hand on the flop, I mean, doesn't this happen to all of us a couple of times during a long day or two?

AQ on Q high flop losing to KT? I mean...GET REAL! Top pair losing to some guy who raises (very correctly, seeing as opponent doesn't even reraise with TPTK) the turn for a free showdown, then catches his flopped five-outer after missing the turn?

Ok, the AA vs AK and QQ vs QT is a bit bad, but I lost with QQ vs QJ just a day ago, and then the flop was 7-4-4 (and I was the one holding the backdoor-flushdraw).

Queens losing to someone catching their overcard twice. Call CNN?

"A fish" beating DanDruff's AQo with A3s (30% shot). Oh my God. Makes you wonder how ofte he has really lost this SEVENTY-PERCENT chance to win. How many AQ isolations vs the fish's worse ace has helped finance his bankroll?

Seems like a quite bad session, but nothing more either really. Actually, if this is his "big complaint" after probably 4-5 years of online poker, the only conclusion I draw from this is how good some guys can run for an extended period of time.

lars
Old 07-28-2005, 04:45 PM

Okay did I say Stars was fixed. I said it was weird. Maybe those are all the hands I can remember. I can write down a list of the "suspicious" hands I see next time I watch the weekly final table. I said sometimes poker is weird, if you read Dan Druff he says the action is weird at times on Stars.....that's his personal opinion and I've seen it on occasion, not saying that they fix hands for rake, I think that's crazy and I don't see why Stars would ever do that, but I'm not in total disaggrement that on Stars. I'm not in total aggreement either.

I'm not saying there is a program like some of the posters on NW say, if A's card = this and B's cards = this then will have this flop, and so on and so forth. If you read the thread, some people say that. I just think some of the final 3 table allins with huge blinds are some times rediculous...maybe I'm just watching a lot of outliers.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:47 PM

I watched Twin-Caracus lose AA vs AQ to running Q's yesterday after the board paired 4s on the flop yesterday....He acts like it never happens to anyone else. He's just running cold, which happens, he is also whining b/c this year he is down on Stars while up on all the other sites he plays on (I think he said he plays on Party in the past). He also knows the competition due to the restiction is much tighter on Stars than on other sites, and in the past he's won repeatedly but now he's down and it's time to whine about it. I guess the WSOP check(s) haven't cleared yet [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 07-28-2005, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would be interested to hear any high-limit online players comment on this thread on neverwinpoker. Dan Druff, aka Todd Witteles, 2005 WSOP bracelet winner, has been running so bad in the Stars 100/200 than he is entertaining some notions about a "kill switch" that makes certain players lose. He does NOT say he believes in it, but he seems to be seriously considering it as an idea. Notice he doesn't have pokertracker, so there isn't any hard data.

thread is here

[/ QUOTE ]

Most likely Dan Druff is just hamming it up for all the broke ass idiots on that site. If he was REALLY that upset about all of these beats it would shock me.
Old 07-28-2005, 05:08 PM

Those were just examples....he's down for the year on Stars. Maybe he's full of sh!t, maybe he'll say I was "just kidding," who knows.