Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: interesting zeejustin hand

[ QUOTE ]
It's an EV++ call in all 3 cases that Justin identifies. (if villain shows you 99 you can call).

What impresses me is the fact that Justin is willing to risk a large portion of his chips in a marginal EV++ situation, with fairly little regard for his tournament standing. These plays build great table image.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is it when someone else makes a +CEV play in a situation when they might be a dog, they are a donk, but when Z does it, you like it? I think you might be developing a poker crush [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
Old 07-21-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
25% of the time you win 3$ = .75$
75% of the time you lose 1$. = .75$

[/ QUOTE ]

But your betting a dollar.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

you're confusing your statistics here. roughly 48k in the pot, and you need to call 24k. that means to call you need to have an ev of greater than 24k. 48+24=72k which you win 1/4 of the time. 72/4=18k. -EV. You are confusing being a 3:1 dog with winning 1/3 of the time. Being a 3:1 dog means you win 1/4 of the time. You need to be a 2:1 dog or win 1/3 of the time to make the call break even here.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:51 PM

This hand is close to my heart, because I folded AK heads up this weekend with a similar flop.

It was after my wife was urging the fold, and I have been wondering about it since. Villain showed me air.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:54 PM

yeah you're right.
too much backgammon.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:02 PM

How did the hand play out and how did zee finish. Didn't see the end of the tournament.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is it when someone else makes a +CEV play in a situation when they might be a dog, they are a donk, but when Z does it, you like it? I think you might be developing a poker crush [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't just him, this is how a large portion of internet forums work.

If I shove with A8s on a blindsteal and say this at the FullContact forums, I'm a donkey. If Danny N. does it, well, [censored], he can see through the other person's soul.

If I post a hand here where I flat call the flop and turn with top pair I'm a moron, but if Mason does it, he's sophisticated.

[ QUOTE ]

What impresses me is the fact that Justin is willing to risk a large portion of his chips in a marginal EV++ situation, with fairly little regard for his tournament standing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think I've ever actually spoken a single word to Justin, but I am willing to bet a fairly significant sum of money that this call wasn't made because Justin was ignoring his tournament standing.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:40 PM

FWIW, I was really just busting Loc's balls.

He reads my threads, calls me a donk. I read his, call him a weak tight pansy. All in good fun.

I have no room to talk on the 'blinded by name' phenomenon, I was one of the first following the leaders in the infamous MLG, Sossman, Gavin "Lets teach the forum a lesson and post the most donkish play possible" thread.

That thread also was the best thing to happen to my poker thinking. When I found myself reading HOH2, and saying "hmmm...I dont know if I like that play". I knew I was a better man for it.

Now, I only blindly follow Sirio. He seems to nice to lead me astray.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 PM

Can you really have a read on this guy other than he's an idiot and you hope to god he doesn't have a pocket pair or hit the flop with the 85 suited that is within his calling range.

I make calls like this sometimes but I think it's usually just because I'm ticked off because of how clueless the guy is that flat called my utg raise from the sb with a stack that size and then pushs a ragedy flop.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can you really have a read on this guy other than he's an idiot and you hope to god he doesn't have a pocket pair or hit the flop with the 85 suited that is within his calling range.

I make calls like this sometimes but I think it's usually just because I'm ticked off because of how clueless the guy is that flat called my utg raise from the sb with a stack that size and then pushs a ragedy flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Making this play doesnt mean he is a donk. I remember Gavin posting a very similar hand where he pulled a stop and go from the blinds with KQ.

Really depends on your read on the original bet, and stack sizes, MTT stage, etc