FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2005, 02:50 AM

Default Re: I\'m going to SoCal in two weeks

bummmmmmmmp
bump bummmmmmmp
Old 05-14-2005, 03:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love it here, just can't imagine someone from out of town visiting Los Feliz as a destination. Maybe that's why I like it so much, it's not very "LA", as I see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Los Feliz is way cool and doesn't feel as LA as Sunset, etc, of which I'm not a big fan. Ate at Fred 62 for breakfast for the first time yesterday.

All the beach locales are pretty good destinations, like the Redondo pier and Santa Monica. The Grove is also a good place to chill and eat at the Farmer's Market there, but it's kind of a family and LA-ish outdoor mall. There is also Universal City-walk, but you have to pay for parking.

If you like bar hopping, go to Santa Monica/Venice on Main Street. Less pretentious than the Sunset area and they don't charge $15 for parking. If you get a chance, hit the Standard in downtown just for the view.

For food, always try to hit the ethnic centers. Koreatown for Korean food, Monterey Park for Chinese, etc.

DN
Old 05-14-2005, 04:59 PM

If you want to do some touristy stuff in San Diego and you like this kind of stuff, then Balboa Park is pretty cool and there's always the world famous San Diego Zoo. There's the Wild Animal Park, and then there's places like La Jolla Cove or Torrey Pines State Park. If you're a golfer, check out Torrey Pines. I doubt you'll get a tee time on TP South, but you can try anyway.

If you want to hit a bunch of bars and you're done with downtown/gaslamp, check out Pacific Beach.
Old 05-14-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Los Feliz is way cool and doesn't feel as LA as Sunset, etc, of which I'm not a big fan. Ate at Fred 62 for breakfast for the first time yesterday.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to make this a pro-Eastside hijack, but:

The Edendale Grill on Rowena, which I despise for dinner but has a very nice bar, does a good brunch. I also like the Coffee Table on Rowena for bfast. If you've never been to Pacific Dining Car on 6th near downtown go there very soon, they're open 24 hrs I think (or very late/early at least).

For dinner I've become obsessed with Nettie's in Silverlake, the food is amazing and the place is casual.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:32 PM

Default LA

Don't forget the Bike. No poker player's trip to LA would be complete without it. It's in the same general vicinity as the Commerce.

Everything in LA is spread out and the freeways are a nightmare. If you want walking distance from a hotel, there's Sunset, where the hotels are obscenely overpriced. If you don't like the Standard, try the Chateau Marmont, it's a legend.

I lived just a few blocks away from Universal Citywalk for years and rarely went there. I guess tourists like it. You can now get there by subway from Hollywood and save the parking, although I wouldn't park my car in Hollywood and leave it.

The Santa Monica Promenade is great, especially in the summer, at night, and on weekends. Chicks need sweaters, it's very cool near the beach in June. You'll find outdoor propane heaters at the restaurants at night.

Melrose in Hollywood is really funky. Jay Leno does a lot of his stupid people interviews there, along with Hollywood Boulevard and Citywalk.

Hollywood Boulevard is a scummy tourist trap. Although it's cleaned up dramatically in the last ten or twenty years, drug dealing in the open is rampant.

All the cardrooms will be a substantial drive from anywhere else in LA that you want to be. Rush hour lasts 20 hours a day, in all directions. Bulletproof glass is +EV.

There are thousands of great places to eat, although I never found any really good barbecue or, oddly enough, Mexican food. Be sure to get a hot dog at Pinks. Be prepared to wait in line on the sidewalk and don't be surprised at who's standing beside you.

Mel's Diner on Sunset. I used to take a lot of meetings there. So does everybody else. If you see a lot of black SUVs in the upper parking lot, then engage your celebrity radar. They were stalking Winona Ryder last time I was there.

Any of the expensive coffee places on the west side, especially Beverly Hills and Sunset, are great for girl watching. I'm talking grade A, prime, culled by experts.

If you want to get in an audience, just Google for whatever show you want. I think most of the sitcoms will be on hiatus in June, but you can find game shows, Leno, or any of the other talk shows. Tickets are free but you'll probably need to get them in advance.

Oh yeah. There's a beach.
Old 05-14-2005, 08:57 PM

Default Re: LA

[ QUOTE ]
There are thousands of great places to eat, although I never found any really good barbecue or, oddly enough, Mexican food. Be sure to get a hot dog at Pinks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been discussed before, but Pink's is DEFINITELY not worth the wait or the feeling of sickness afterwards. For Mexican food go to El Taurino or King Taco. Ask for the red sauce on the side(or you'll be sweating profusely). Greasy, but so delicious. I think I'll have to go to El Taurino(Hoover/Olympic) tonight.

You will have no better Korean BBQ in the US than in LA's Koreatown. Manna on Olympic is $16 all you can eat and a good value.

DN
Old 05-14-2005, 09:14 PM

If you are in old town you might want to hit up the Historic area as they are destroying it all soon. Good mexican food in that joint and there is a place with 3 foot beers.

Downtown/Gaslap is cool as others have said.

If you like Comedy shows check out the Comedy Store in La jolla. There is also one in LA. It is a good time.

If you are in SD on a weekend we will be blowing up teh beach and getting mad wiffle ball games in most likely if you are interested. And you really should just be at the beach all day if you are there on a weekend.

Oh and there is also Sea World. It is kinda fun, but the best part is the beer school put on by budweiser.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:05 AM

Okay, this is starting to sound good. I'll probably want to check out the Comedy Store, and I know this Korean who can probably show me around Korea town, very convenient. If anyone wants to meet up at the Commerce June 7th through 10th or so PM me.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:52 AM

Try this site for some other ideas in SD if you don't already have enough.

Sign on SD
Old 05-15-2005, 03:47 AM

Wow, that's a pretty comprehensive listing of bars, among other things on that site. I think I've pretty much got SD covered now. Next I need to figure out more stuff to do in LA.