Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2005, 08:08 AM

Default A question: fundamentals of chip holding

Hello there,

This quesiton has been bothering me all weekend (and as you can see, I can't sleep because of it) since my trip to the Commerce Baby, Commerce! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. A strange situation presented itself and I think it's best to turn the issue over to the members of this esteemed forum to help me make my decision.

Note: Unless he wishes to reveal his identity, I will keep the name of the 2+2er involved anonymous, [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img].

I won't bore you with a long rehash of how the night went (see link above for the trip report, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) but at some point while watching Raptor and Usher get slaughtered at Pai Gow a 2+2er to remain nameless asked if I could hold his $300 worth of chips for him for a couple of minutes .

I was happy to grant him this favor and proceeded to watch Raptor and Usher lose several banks while waiting, [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]. However, after several minutes, he had not returned or renewed our agreement. After what was certainly more than 5 but fewer than 10 minutes, he shows up and asks for his chips back.

Whoa! WHoa! WHOa! WHOA!

[img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

I asked him 'you want WHAT?!? He said he is entitled to the $300 worth of chips per our original agreement. Apparently he feels that he is entitled to all of the chips I am now holding or I may 'die a horrifically painful and slow death.' He also said that he has made similar agreements with other people before and there was never any confusion - all paid him back even after he was gone longer than originally agreed.

hmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, I asked Raptor about this and his semi-coherent response was 'Bwahahahahahaha! [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] $300 in chips?! Meh.....ship it! holla!' Unfortunately I had no idea wtf he was talking about, [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], as he continued to bank every hand of Pai Gow to disasterous effect.

So, I asked TheUsher and he contemplated my question for a few thoughtful moments but his attention evaporated as Raptor started pounding the table yelling, 'SHIP IT BABY! Holla Bitches!!'

So......any thoughts or suggestions? Am I a complete and utter idiot (backstabber, douche, scum of scum) for thinking since he was gone longer than the original terms of our agreement, I was on my own?

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Yugoslav
Old 04-04-2005, 08:37 AM

Default Re: A question: fundamentals of chip holding

He clearly violated the terms of your oral contract. As such, you are entitled to a non-refundable service charge deducted from the principal amount as compensation for his tortious breach of contract.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:24 AM

Here's a plan....You handle the trip reports [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...Leave the disguised humor, sarcasm, and cynical observations to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 04-04-2005, 10:27 AM

Contract was null and void after the original time expired per your agreement. What is this supposed to be a FOREVER type of agreement? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

On another note, it seems like my machine-like grind at the 50's yesterday has garnered some interesting chat from people asking if I was "Usher mentioned from the Commerce the other night". Nice way to know that they're trout. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

(right behind raptor on the Empire leaderboard) bwahahaha!*(@
Old 04-04-2005, 10:36 AM

So after more than 5 but less than 10 mintues, you decided not to give a 2+2er his chips back? Seems ridiculous you held the word couple of mintues to just that. If any form of the law were involved I fear you'd be shipping your chips back to a 2+2'er. Give the man what's rightfully his. I don't think you were going out of your way to protect his chips so you really shouldn't be taxing him his chips. Tell him to buy you a drink and call it a day.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:25 AM

Did you seriously bring this back up?
Old 04-04-2005, 12:24 PM

Possession is 9/10 of the law...
Old 04-04-2005, 07:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's a plan....You handle the trip reports [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]...Leave the disguised humor, sarcasm, and cynical observations to me [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You've been droppin' the ball in the last couple days [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]. I mean, you haven't even called me a pinko commie F.A.G. in like.....at least a week! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I felt I had to make something happen, [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

Yugoslav
Who really did like Forum Bot's random guest appearance in an OOT thread that one time...
Old 04-04-2005, 10:17 PM

This makes me sad.
Old 04-04-2005, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This makes me sad.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now, that's funny. I feel for you, microbet.

Irieguy
Who is amazed at how invaluable poker advice from gifted players can go essentially unnoticed while I can get quoted verbatim from a goofy off-topic petty-theft post