Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 04-03-2005, 06:17 PM

Default Trip Report (no content/long): Commerce

So after spending Thursday night meeting Raptor and his friend for dinner (and then hot tubbing – yes, females were present, no gay OOTness goin’ on), we decide that an all night trip to Commerce is in order for Friday. Quick thoughts on meeting raptor and his friend:

Okay, so his friend plays live MTTs with huge fields and high buyins for a living….and he has no clue about ROR or even poker variance! I ask him a few simple questions about bankroll, variance and money management and he basically babbles incoherently about cashing a ton with a perplexed look on his face [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]. He’s in for a very very disheartening surprise somewhere down the road. On the other hand, Raptor may be a crazy punk kid, but he certainly has a solid knowledge of poker and good perspective on actually doing it for a living (except for the whole adding tables and moving up in limits when pissed thing….bwahahahahahaha!)…I plan to find out at the Commerce just how much gamble he has in him.

So, while we were unable to rope the loquacious Skipperbob into going (7pm is his bedtime after all [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img] ), TheUsher and Microbet were down for meeting up (anyone else notice how weird it is that one can be ‘down’ and ‘up’ at the exact same time?!?).

Raptor and I get there and go get some sandwiches as we’re very hungry and then call up TheUsher and tell him to come find us. We saw several ‘candidates’ but none look like stone-cold $55 STT killers. Actually, for whatever reason, TheUsher was very much how I’d imagine he would be even though I’m not really even sure how I imagined him [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. Anyway, Micro also comes by (who is *way* smarter looking than the rest of us [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]) and we decide to go hit up a kiddie-pool $100 buyin 2/3 NL table and comprise 4/9 of it.

No more than 15 minutes in, I hear from the other side of the table, ‘Sup bro was all-county in ’95.’ Bah! We come all the way to commerce to play with a table 80% full of 2+2ers?!?! Wtf pwned, [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]! So I do the only sensible thing there is, I retort, ‘oh yeah?! Well I had 15 tackles for losses back in ’95 ... and when I go allin here, you’ll know!’ [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] It turns out seanhoo was the 2+2er and the two guys he was talking with were just random dorks, aka nihilists – nothing to be afraid of. So, a bit after that I make my first (and only very significant) score, completely walking a monster flopped set vs. Usher’s TPTK. Then Micro (who was folding close to 99% of his hands btw….don’t think I didn’t notice you weak/tight chicken!!!) gets busted by a Raptor set on a post-flop bluff (not a bad one IMO either).

At some point I completely bluff Raptor post-flop with ‘walking back to Houston’ vs. what he claimed was QQ after I missed the flop, [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]. Unfortunately for me he tools me later post-flop (with what turned out to be the best hand, but one I may have been able to push him off of, bah!, [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]).

Then the fun starts! Raptor throws in a ton of his stack on a Q98 flop with two clubs HU against some dumb looking big tattooed oaf. He thought he was putting him allin but the guy had a $100 chip behind that I honestly believe he was covering with his hand at the time. Anyway, he goes allin and Raptor is impelled to call. The guy flips over AK (AK!?) and Raptor is like a 56.5% favorite, [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img], but really should have taken the pot down without a call. So, the guy of course hits and Raptor is PISSED [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]! The hilarious thing is the guy is just upset b/c he basically thought that it was a *great* call [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]. So Raptor is like yelling at him (spotting the dude at least 100 lbs) and challenging him to take it outside or to a high limit table or HU for any limit. We have his back and start sayin’ stuff like ‘dude, Raptor was all-county in ’95, don’t mess with texas, baby’ and ‘He had 15 tackles for losses bitch!!!’ This guy has no idea wtf he’s doing and basically is staring everyone down and posturing still clearly thinking he wtf pwned wtf_pwned. Of course, he clams up after it becomes obvious Raptor really wants to make good on his challenges (both physical and mental).

After this Raptor and Usher decide to go hit a higher limit and/or the Pai Gow tables (and a very pleased with himself tattooed guy shortly after) and the only other interesting thing (between several profound discussions with Micro on 2+2 theorems – it’s all simple game-theory man!!!) is when the guy next to me (listening to his ipod the whole time) starts talking about how he *gasp* 2 tables (which he said with emphasis) on Party and such. I’m not sure if he believes me when I proceed to talk about 4 tabling and 8 tabling and tell him how Raptor (who the table still think sucks) is planning on 12 tabling and then 16 tabling. Holla!

Anyway, I book a $28 win (huzzah!) and Micro (who is even) and I jet to go find Raptor/Usher at the Pai Gow tables.

We find them playing as bank at a high-limit Pai Gow table with at least 4k of $100 chips in front of them (and Raptor as the only white guy and only 18 year old at the table shouting obscenities and yellin’ SHIP IT like every 5 seconds, [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]). I realize they’re both completely [censored] insane as soon as I learn how Pai Gow works and its ‘beatability.’ They're up a bit at this point I think but quickly their bank hands start to come up complete crap and they start to lose every freakin’ hand. Usher just sorta laughs nervously every few seconds in some sort of ‘I’m in denial that I’m losing all this money’ while Raptor basically is devising every and any sort of plan to get back to even. I swear they must have lost on all hands as bank 6 times in a row. Not even letting me ‘play’ a hand for them helped ([img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]). It was a complete and utter massacre – truly a sight to behold. Raptor and Usher end up leaving the table with one $25 chip (a mere 8k down for the night) babbling about how many STTs it will take to get the $$ back [img]/images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]. Raptor can’t even get carded and show off his beloved fake ID when he goes to cash in $50 (doubled up at a not blackjack, blackjack table) [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Raptor then picks up the 2001fp from Usher’s sweet Corvette (apparently Usher is Mr. Big time smooth) and I drive him back to his hotel while he does whatever he can to talk me into quitting my job and 8 tabling the $109s.

I have to say I think a great time was had by all even though the mighty Pai Gow Raptor/Usher combo blew threw 8k like Shawn Kemp with 10 lines of cocaine in front of him ... or like Mikey Jack through a vanload of pre-pubescent boys.

Yugoslav
Old 04-03-2005, 06:33 PM

Default Re: Trip Report (no content/long): Commerce

I love it. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sad thing though is that it's all true. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

(who is now 4tabling like a maniac 24/7 to get it all back)

Great trip report!
Old 04-03-2005, 06:39 PM

Nice report.

[ QUOTE ]
who is *way* smarter looking than the rest of us

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I guess looks can be decieving. I certainly didn't prove I was too smart with my inability to follow the action while one tabling.

Pai-Gow, f'n Pai-Gow. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] Actually, it was all Yugo and my fault. Standing behind them gave them bad luck.
Old 04-03-2005, 06:47 PM

i love it too, awesome report yugo. that tatoo guy was quite the idiot. i wish his broke punk self would have played me heads up.

well, since i had a total self destruction towards the end of my trip, im back to 8 tabling the 109s, and am down a nice 2k since i got back. woohoo.

anyways, it was great to meet all yall, i had an awesome time, and i look forward to doing it again sometime in the future. holla
Old 04-03-2005, 07:35 PM

Sorry I missed it [img]/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]I coulda helped bigtime with tattooed-oaf and my sytem to beat PaiGow is the greek nutz.
Also, BTW, I'm 70% ROI with Commerce Club Cocktail waitresses.....I was Day 1 customer @ Bike & Commerce both.
HOLLA [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-03-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(anyone else notice how weird it is that one can be ‘down’ and ‘up’ at the exact same time?!?).

[/ QUOTE ]

Its called bi-polar, and every poker player has it in them.
Old 04-03-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice report.

[ QUOTE ]
who is *way* smarter looking than the rest of us

[/ QUOTE ]

Having Yugo describe someone as "smarter looking than the rest of us" is like Charlie Manson describing someone as "more sane looking than me".
Old 04-04-2005, 10:41 AM

'2001fp' forgive me for not knowing what this is?
Old 04-04-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
'2001fp' forgive me for not knowing what this is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Dell monitor. People use it for 4 tabling without overlap.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:52 PM

Nice meeting you guys, too.

Giving the tattooed guy grief was -EV, but it was pretty funny to see everyone get worked up.