Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 12-29-2005, 03:56 PM

Default $5/$10 Stud Hi - Rolled

Seat 1 had been at the table a little more than an orbit but I’ll call LAG. One hand he had split eights (deuce side card) and called when Andy B completed with a six door card. Fourth street went check, Andy B bets, and this guy raises.

I hadn’t been there all that long but Seat 5 seemed pretty decent.

Given my position and board, how would you play fourth and fifth differently?

Yes, I felt blessed when I saw that action on fourth. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

7 Card Stud High ($5/$10), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $2 (converter)

3rd Street - (0.80 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 2: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 4: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___brings-in
Seat 6: xx xx J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 8: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.00 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___raises___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises___calls

5th Street - (7.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

6th Street - (10.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls

River - (13.00 BB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] xx___checks___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 5: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] xx___calls

Total pot: (15.00 BB)

Results: [in white]
<font color="white">
Total pot $150 | Rake $3

Hero: [9c 9d 9h 2h Th 7s Jd] (three of a kind, Nines)

Seat 5: [Kd Kh 2d 5c Qd 4h 4c] </font>
Old 12-29-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: $5/$10 Stud Hi - Rolled

It looks like you would have made more had you wait until 5th to raise. On 4th, it is clear that seat 5 has a hand and will come out betting on 5th after seat 1 and you check to him. So on 4th, I would just keep calling the rasies by seat 1 and 5. On 5th, you will gather in the double bets.
Old 12-29-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like you would have made more had you wait until 5th to raise. On 4th, it is clear that seat 5 has a hand and will come out betting on 5th after seat 1 and you check to him. So on 4th, I would just keep calling the rasies by seat 1 and 5. On 5th, you will gather in the double bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't think the other players will get suspicious after you call two bets coming back on 4th with 9 and 2 upcards?

also seat 5 may have trip fives and decide to raise on fifth street anyway.

i play this hand the same way as OP.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:14 PM

With the 3 hearts on your board, it's going to be hard to fastplay it on 5th and later, especially as hearts are so live, so you got the bets in on 4th and guaranteed caller(s) to the river. Well played, play it the same.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:43 PM

I sort of agree with iamastud, if you cold call 4th it looks like a 4 flush or some decent drawing hand so your not going to scare anyone away from betting 5th unless you hit a heart. Since you did hit a heart there is nothing more to do but bet out the rest of the way.

If you hadn't hit a heart I think you can almost guarantee an extra bet or 2 on 5th, and the raise on 4th may have been completely unnecessary since the othe guys could have capped it themselves anyway.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you don't think the other players will get suspicious after you call two bets coming back on 4th with 9 and 2 upcards?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how approximately everybody in the free world would play a flush draw.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:03 PM

I would probably just call on fourth and then pop it on fifth, but it doesn't make that much difference. Nice hand.

Nice that you can remember a hand that I played and I can't.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:20 PM

I think you probably got as much money out of this one as possible. Either way, opponents are going to be cautious when that third heart hits on 5th, so there's no guarantee of picking up extra bets.

You're not in perfect position to be jamming with a 4-flush on 4th, but you're pretty close, and I'd figure you for either rolled up trips or a 4-flush when you cap 4th. I'd probably figure you for the flush draw if you just flat called it too. So, perhaps there is a little deception in flat-calling, but you pick up a sure extra BB by capping it on 4th.

The only way you're likely to get 2 extra BB's on 5th is if you don't catch a heart and the opponent behind you leads out. I would probably usually flat-call on 4th here, but I don't think capping 4th is bad. Waiting until 6th to raise might also be an option. So, your only actual mistake in this hand was failing to catch offsuit cards on 5th and 6th. Otherwise, nice hand [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-29-2005, 10:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nice that you can remember a hand that I played and I can't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I remembered that you had pocket Aces and paired your door card along the way. I also remembered that he raised you on fourth and that you won a nice pot. The HH filled in some details. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]