Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Medium-Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 12-15-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Ace with a weakish kicker short handed ( 5-10NL) whats my action?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Push is definitely the worst option. I am not familiar with the dynamics of donkish live play in the US but I think KK is the most likely hand, this bet smells a bit scared to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the only reason pushing crossed my mind. to KK would probably play a bit scared and overbet. But again with little info and not much in the pot i didnt want to pay to find out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yarr, don't push it's horrible.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find calling here to be perhaps the worst option. Why build a huge pot if you have no intention of going foward if he fires a second barrel. To me this was a line between pushing and folding.... Thoughts? I'm not saying im right just my thoughts at the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Can i get your rational? I'm not sure my line was the best and what to see why you believe calling >>> raising imo

What about the fold? Discuss...
Thanks
Old 12-15-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I find calling here to be perhaps the worst option. Why build a huge pot if you have no intention of going foward if he fires a second barrel. To me this was a line between pushing and folding.... Thoughts? I'm not saying im right just my thoughts at the time...

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Can i get your rational? I'm not sure my line was the best and what to see why you believe calling >>> raising imo

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

whats to discuss? answer me why raising is better. are you bluffing or getting value?

the fold is fine, without a read it takes gall calling down here when he minreraised pf.
Old 12-15-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

calling >>> raising imo

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

whats to discuss? answer me why raising is better. are you bluffing or getting value?

the fold is fine, without a read it takes gall calling down here when he minreraised pf.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think folding > calling

If you were to raise it would clearly be a bluff. Not for value, very little chance your A 9 would get anyone to call a re-re raise. You would however perhaps get a weaker ace to fold and perhaps an A10-J if the opponent is particualry tight. I was just curious why you would call and if you thought it was better than folding. Your post gives the impression thats what you'd do. As someone who is just started to move into the 5-10 level I thought i could learn from the coach....
Old 12-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Come on arod, think about it for a minute... the reason not to push is a pretty general concept.

All a push does is fold out hands you beat and get you called by hands when your beat. If you think you are ahead you want to call and induce another bluff by villan trying to push out an A with his KK. If you call this flop bet you are going with a read that you are ahead and trying to maximize value out of this hand.

Pushing is just scared poker because you don't want to make anymore difficult decisions on later streets, however all it reall does is ensure you either lose the most or win the least.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your post gives the impression thats what you'd do.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I feel that if you plan to continue the hand I'd rather let him bet then bet myself. As to what I would do? Well, lack of a read, he minreraised then overbet a dry board. I'll fold here, as I can beat a bluff, and he may slow that down, but if he has a bigger ace or top set, I am goig to pay him off.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to raise it would clearly be a bluff. Not for value, very little chance your A 9 would get anyone to call a re-re raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point. You'd have to hope a. he has AT-AQ and b. will lay it down. Although A is possible, I feel that if he reraises so small then overbets, he's not folding. Thus, a raise has little value in either bluffing or value. So, calling wins more if you plan to continue the hand.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on arod, think about it for a minute... the reason not to push is a pretty general concept.

All a push does is fold out hands you beat and get you called by hands when your beat. If you think you are ahead you want to call and induce another bluff by villan trying to push out an A with his KK. If you call this flop bet you are going with a read that you are ahead and trying to maximize value out of this hand.

Pushing is just scared poker because you don't want to make anymore difficult decisions on later streets, however all it reall does is ensure you either lose the most or win the least.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pushing crossed my mind as does everything. But that wasnt my question. I folded. My question is why call and build a pot. Folding I thought was standard....
Old 12-15-2005, 06:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Your post gives the impression thats what you'd do.

[/ QUOTE ]

no, I feel that if you plan to continue the hand I'd rather let him bet then bet myself. As to what I would do? Well, lack of a read, he minreraised then overbet a dry board. I'll fold here, as I can beat a bluff, and he may slow that down, but if he has a bigger ace or top set, I am goig to pay him off.

[ QUOTE ]
If you were to raise it would clearly be a bluff. Not for value, very little chance your A 9 would get anyone to call a re-re raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats my point. You'd have to hope a. he has AT-AQ and b. will lay it down. Although A is possible, I feel that if he reraises so small then overbets, he's not folding. Thus, a raise has little value in either bluffing or value. So, calling wins more if you plan to continue the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the clarification.....