Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 11-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Default Re: The Pats do not \"own\" Peyton Manning.

[ QUOTE ]
Win or lose this game, the Pats are going to win the AFC East and be the 3 seed, that's it. No one expects the Pats to win this game, maybe not even them. No, this game is huge for Indy. Psychologically it is very very important that they collectively and Manning individually prove to themselves/himself that they can beat the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the kind of thing that sportswriters write and people repeat like it's fact. I doubt Manning will be moping and calling this season a lost cause if they lose Monday. And as much as I would love them to crush NE, the Colts likely won't have to beat the Pats in Foxboro to go to the Superbowl this year. Like I said before, huge difference.

And incidentally, is it Pittsburgh or Denver you're expecting the Pats to beat out for the 3?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:39 PM

Yeah, the Pat's are going to go into this game with the attitude that's won the 3 of 4 championsips.

"We expect to lose this game"
Old 11-04-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Win or lose this game, the Pats are going to win the AFC East and be the 3 seed, that's it. No one expects the Pats to win this game, maybe not even them. No, this game is huge for Indy. Psychologically it is very very important that they collectively and Manning individually prove to themselves/himself that they can beat the Pats.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is the kind of thing that sportswriters write and people repeat like it's fact. I doubt Manning will be moping and calling this season a lost cause if they lose Monday. And as much as I would love them to crush NE, the Colts likely won't have to beat the Pats in Foxboro to go to the Superbowl this year. Like I said before, huge difference.

And incidentally, is it Pittsburgh or Denver you're expecting the Pats to beat out for the 3?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you follow this forum you have to know one thing and that is I'm an original thinker. For example:

1. Predicted Shilling would be Sox closer(everyone scoffed)
2. Predicted ortiz would win MVP(everyone scoffed)
3. Predicted Cleveland Indians would collapse and miss playoffs(everyone scoffed)

Believe this: If Indy loses, it will be in Mannings head if it is not already.

Edit: 3 seed is the highest I think the Pats can get. 4 seed is more likely. I'm a big fan but there are just too many holes this year.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you follow this forum you have to know one thing and that is I'm an original thinker. For example:

3. Predicted Cleveland Indians would collapse and miss playoffs(everyone scoffed)

Edit: 3 seed is the highest I think the Pats can get. 4 seed is more likely. I'm a big fan but there are just too many holes this year.

[/ QUOTE ]

you also thought pokerstars was rigged.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

you also thought pokerstars was rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say i was 4 for 4 then. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 11:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Relax, I wasn't trying to impugn your creativity. I'm just talking football. Here is an emoticon that will surely prove my good will: [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

But surely you can't think what you've been saying in this thread is original in any way. You live near Boston, right? You must read and hear this stuff all day. Not that I blame you all really, it's just sports bluster.

But just answer this: Assume that Peyton gets frustrated, Edge fumbles a huge chance, Marvin half-asses routes, Stokley drops another 6 passes, and the Pats sneak by the Colts on Monday, and the Colts are angry about it. What difference is that going to make when the Colts and Broncos are playing in the AFC championship game in the Hoosier Dome?
Old 11-04-2005, 11:40 PM

My opinion but yes it would mean a lot. I'm big into the psychology of sports. There's more to sports than just stats except of course in the fantasy leagues.
Old 11-04-2005, 11:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My opinion but yes it would mean a lot. I'm big into the psychology of sports. There's more to sports than just stats except of course in the fantasy leagues.

[/ QUOTE ]
Psychology can all be in the eye of the beholder. The Seahawks lost 3 times to the Rams last year, but this year, they went on the road and beat them. A team can overcome a psychological problem on any given day.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:15 AM

The ironic twist to this game is that it is effectively meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Look at the divisions of these teams and their remaining schedules.
The Colts will be the #1 seed and the Pats will be the #4 seed in the playoffs regardless of the outcome. The Colts do not "have to" win this game.
Old 11-05-2005, 03:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The ironic twist to this game is that it is effectively meaningless in the grand scheme of things.
Look at the divisions of these teams and their remaining schedules.
The Colts will be the #1 seed and the Pats will be the #4 seed in the playoffs regardless of the outcome. The Colts do not "have to" win this game.

[/ QUOTE ]

I very strongly disagree that this game is meaningless.

The answer lies in the schedules. The Colts have had a soft schedule so far, but it gets much tougher here on out. The Pats are just finishing up the "schedule from hell" and have a much softer schedule to finish the regular season. If the Pats win, I can easily see both teams finishing around 13-3 or 12-4, with the Pats having the tiebreaker. Colts going to New England in January? *shivers*

As for JackOfArcades, I think he is basically saying that Peyton can't take all of the blame for the Colts losses to New England. This firmly lands in the category of "No Sh!t, Sherlock". It's a team game.

Has ANYONE done particulaly well against New England over the past few years? This is a stupid debate. The Patriots are the reigning champs and the Colts are not.