Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 11-03-2004, 09:58 PM

Default Petriv\'s Hold\'em\'s Odds Book

I recently ran a search on the 2+2 forums for some thoughts on this book, and I could not find much consensus in the opinion department.

I'm interested in some of the more detailed odds that relate to hold'em and possibly some methodology that could be applied to other forms of poker.

What are your opinions of this book? Also, did Mason ever write a review or comment about it?

Thanks. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 12:07 AM

Default Re: Petriv\'s Hold\'em\'s Odds Book

Get it, it's not perfect but it's the only one if you are interested in learning how to calculate probabilities. Check-out the Probability forum as well, you can get just about any question answered there. In "Gambling Theory and Other Topics" Mason rated it an 8 with the caveat that it won't help your play.

Lost Wages
Old 11-04-2004, 07:02 PM

Thanks. Anybody else? Yes this is my one and only bump. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2004, 08:02 PM

Petriv's book reads like a high school math book. That being said, I liked high school math. Mason rightfully pointed out, that this book will do nothing for your practical approach to the game. It does, however, give a fasinating insight into the mathmatic heart of poker.

If you've read everything else there is to read on poker or have fasination with the probability side of the game, this is well worth a read.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:10 PM

You should get Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth. It's worth the price just for the reviews on the back. This is what Malmuth writes on pg 334:

56. Hold 'em's Odds Book (8/10) by Mike Petriv.If your understanding of probability theory is poor and you are interested in the underlying mathematics of the game, then this text is pretty good. For example, if you want to know the probability of backdooring a flush when you start with two suited cards and flop one of the appropriate suit, this book will show you how these computations are done. The reason I don't rate it higher is that this material will not help you much in your play.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You should get Gambling Theory and Other Topics by Mason Malmuth. It's worth the price just for the reviews on the back.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I have read it, but it's a book that I don't own. I borrowed it from a friend, about a year ago. I had been curious if Hold'em's Odds Book was reviewed in that text, but I wasn't going to go hit up the guy for the book again. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Thanks for the info. [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2004, 02:25 PM

I bought this book early in my development, and it helped me tremendously.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:31 PM

I think the only place that sells it anymore is Gambler's Book Shop I know Chuck used to sell it here at Conjelco (I actually wrote to him to see if he had any copies left) and he directed me to GBS.

J
Old 11-05-2004, 04:41 PM

I got it from GBS a week ago. Haven't read it yet to give a review.
[ QUOTE ]
I think the only place that sells it anymore is Gambler's Book Shop I know Chuck used to sell it here at Conjelco (I actually wrote to him to see if he had any copies left) and he directed me to GBS.

J

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-05-2004, 04:53 PM

I just got this in yesterday and looked at it on my lunch break. Looks like it's a home printing job, spiral bound and totally in B&W. That said...I think I'm going to like it!

Who the heck is Mike Petriv anyway...??
---Leavenfish