Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: As a broke \"pro\" which game would you play...? (some stats)

I know some people do it well, but does anyone else find that multitabling SH really decreases your winrate a lot?
Old 10-24-2005, 05:54 PM

Let's expand on this with some concrete numbers...I love to do this with RB because it completely prevents me from tilt.

At 3/6 (6), your average MGR per hand should be about .18. If you make 25% of that, that's .045 per hand. You want $2,000 a month; that's 44,445 hands. If you 8-table, it's 17 hours a week. Feasible but 8 tabling may not be your cup of tea. 6-tabling it's 21 hours a week. This way, you have a guaranteed income of $2,000 a month regardless of how you run.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:57 PM

I have heard many good players say so. I haven't done more than 4 for a good period, so I don't know yet but I definitely know it decreases your WR for sure. By how much depends. But if I can 10 table 5/10 for 1 BB/100, it's better than 6 tabling at 1.5 BB/100, or 4 tabling at 2 BB/100. Plus the RB increase, you must consider, which is significant.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:58 PM

with 2800 in your roll take a 30BB shot at 5/10 and if you drop it play 3/6. alot of the times when people say "roll" they mean they have more money at home and if their roll goes broke they redeposit. is that the case? if all you have is 2800 to your name then you need to rob a bank first.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:02 PM

30 BBs??? Why not buy a lottery ticket? I lose 30 BBs posting [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. Seriously though, that may be a good idea to try to "get lucky", but I don't like it. You'll cruise up fast enough via 3/6. Take a 150 BB shot at 5/10.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2800's barely enough to play 3/6 with a 'professional' roll imo.

Grind 3/6, maybe getting a job so your living doesn't suck your roll? (this is assuming you're independant and have to pay for insurance, food, shelter etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
I second getting a job or playing more then 15 hours a week.
2 hours a day???? You can't manage 40 hours a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

People who question this haven't actually tried to play long hours. It's much much more difficult than it seems when you are putting in part time hours. That said, 15 is still pretty low end.

Krishan
Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 PM

i dont understand you people that say you cant take 30BB shots. thats way more than enough. who the hell needs to lose 150BBs before they move down. if you start off down 30BB you play a smaller limit. its not hard to not lose 30BBs when you first start. you 150BB people piss me off. this guy cant take a 150BB shot with his bankroll. if he loses 30 he still has way more than enough for 3/6.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont understand you people that say you cant take 30BB shots. thats way more than enough. who the hell needs to lose 150BBs before they move down. if you start off down 30BB you play a smaller limit. its not hard to not lose 30BBs when you first start. you 150BB people piss me off. this guy cant take a 150BB shot with his bankroll. if he loses 30 he still has way more than enough for 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMO the real issue is that he's basically playing on an 800 bankroll. with a $2000 liability that must be withdrawn at the end of the month, i don't think this is a time for risks.

i'm a big fan of taking shots.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:09 PM

Sorry to piss you off (are you really mad?), but 30 BBs is a really tiny amount for a shot. I lose twice that amount several times a day at 5/10. You're really trying to get lucky there...it's not a real shot IMO.

Do you think I should take a shot at 10/20? I have a $9k BR at 5/10 but only $5k in action. With that $5k, should I take a shot at 10/20 (6) with 30 BBs? How about 4 shots in succession? Do you think a winning player would definitely be able to move up with 4 30 BB shots? I don't think so. But if you do, I might try it and see what happens.

M
Old 10-24-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
2800's barely enough to play 3/6 with a 'professional' roll imo.

Grind 3/6, maybe getting a job so your living doesn't suck your roll? (this is assuming you're independant and have to pay for insurance, food, shelter etc)

[/ QUOTE ]
I second getting a job or playing more then 15 hours a week.
2 hours a day???? You can't manage 40 hours a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

People who question this haven't actually tried to play long hours. It's much much more difficult than it seems when you are putting in part time hours. That said, 15 is still pretty low end.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? I am strongly considering going pro pretty soon, but right now I still put in 30hrs/wk while working 50hrs/wk regular job.

Of course I have no friends, no life, and practically no interests outside of poker, so maybe I'm just special. In an OCD-type sense, that is.