Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2005, 07:57 PM

Default Re: Shoving it in on a semibluff - $100NL

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You too? I raised to $8 in a $6.50 pot. Isn't that

[/ QUOTE ]

No, thats not enough. You said it yourself, the table was getting agressive, so you can raise higher. I'd raise to at least 10.

First hand: I don't see why you didn't check. Your 8 pair was no good, or at least thats the way it seems. Given that, you're effectively playing off a draw, forget your 8 pair. Would you have pushed without the 8? Then why push WITH the 8? If you had top pair, then I'd make this play. I wouldn't make it with middle pair. Check behind, and then feel out the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Push on the eight because its a scare card, and it gives his trips/two-pair outs on top of his OESD. I don't mind the aggression at all, especially after the check.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:04 PM

The 8 is no scare card...Hero raised preflop, and bet the flop. Chances are, the 8 didn't help him too much.

Also, he gained 5 outs, but there's still not much of a reason to bet. If he was first to act, then I can advocate pushing. But he has the option to gain a free card, so I would take it.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:30 PM

You can't always raise preflop with only premium hands. It makes you predictable. Plus its only 6-max.

Remember, it's a semi-bluff. It's major purpose is to get the opponent to fold. If you get called you need to get lucky to win.

And also it sucks to have to play AA out of position with two people calling that bet on the flop. You can probably check the turn and re-evaluate fairly. No need to push.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:33 PM

I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with raising. I was saying that because of the raise, and the bet on the flop, you can't expect an 8 to help him. Therefore, its not really a scare card.

And I know its a semibluff. I just think its an unecessary risk of chips in this ocassion. You are beat right now, and you have the option of a freecard to majorly help you. Take that option, and if you don't improve on the river, then you can decide to bluff.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Given that, you're effectively playing off a draw, forget your 8 pair. Would you have pushed without the 8? Then why push WITH the 8?

[/ QUOTE ]
The pair of 8's is likely no good by itself, but it does provide Hero with an addition 5 outs to hit trips/2Pair.
Granted this new draw isn't very strong, but it does help indeed.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:03 PM

I don't like the second hand because I think against decent opponents you only get called by hands that beat you and possibly AQ, but probably not even that.

I might have raised more pre-flop with a raise and a caller. You are almost guaranteed to get called at least once, and probably twice. Make it $10 or $12 -- people hate folding to limp re-raisers, and it isn't a disaster if you only win $5. You are out of position and its hard to fold AA.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:59 AM

Hmm...

push, don't push, check, don't check, free card, no free card...

nobody seems to agree on anything here

Anyone else?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:46 AM

I think in Hand 1 if he is going to fold to your "bluff" then it is very likely your pair of 8's is good (that is, he could have 77, 44 or something).
Old 10-24-2005, 03:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think in Hand 1 if he is going to fold to your "bluff" then it is very likely your pair of 8's is good (that is, he could have 77, 44 or something).

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't think he could fold an overpair here?
Old 10-24-2005, 03:53 AM

Maybe.