Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM

Default Re: Price of beer

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Why else would someone spend hundreds of dollars for a good bottle of wine?

[/ QUOTE ]

status? perceived value? the same reason people buy all sorts of things they can't fully appreciate or perceive. tennis rackets, audio equipment, you name it. consumerism is all about chrome. i've bought all sorts of things for appealing to such sensibilities.

i just find it odd that the beer/wine thing is fairly universally accepted snobbishness. there are all sorts of other things that are massively used/consumed/etc where somebody would be considered a prick if they took it so seriously or directly chided people whose choices were different from theirs.

it's funnier when you think about people emphatically arguing about the taste of something when they might drop it flat if it lost an element and managed to not affect the taste at all. i'm sure that this wouldn't be the case for everyone, but i think it would certainly be a wide majority, and it makes an interesting thought exercise to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that it does make an interesting thought exercise. I tend to disagree with you on the wine, but I do think an arguement can be made for beer. Wine has been a staple of many civilizations for hundred if not thousands of years, and I think its appeal is not simply its alchol content. This is probably better debated in a seperate thread rather than hijacking this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm, beer has been around just as long as (if not longer than) wine and has been a staple of many civilizations as well.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:09 PM

This thread might be more interesting if like were compared to like. I suggest a pint of Guinness (since that seems to be available in pubs the world over).

I'm a part owner in a pub in Osaka, Japan and we charge 850 yen (about USD7.75).
Old 10-18-2005, 11:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This thread might be more interesting if like were compared to like. I suggest a pint of Guinness (since that seems to be available in pubs the world over).

I'm a part owner in a pub in Osaka, Japan and we charge 850 yen (about USD7.75).

[/ QUOTE ]

I miss Iowa City. Before I moved to Illinois (5 or 6 years ago), it was easy to find Guinness for $1.50 a pint on special. $2.50 was the NORMAL price and available all over the place. Once I moved to Chicago suburbs, I found that the normal price for Guinness in bars was about $6 a pint (and this is a US pint). Too bad.