Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2005, 05:11 AM

Default Re: Is this shooting an angle?

A long long time ago (somewhere during the early 1990s) in a galaxy far far away (I don’t live there anymore) I was playing a $4/8 SPREAD LIMIT (capitalized because it is important to the story [for those who don’t know, spread limit $4/8 means you can bet anything from $1 UP TO the limit on each round]) game at Boulder Station (off the Vegas Strip). The game was very loose/aggressive and there were a couple of angle shooters causing a lot of problems.

I was playing a big draw very aggressively and had gotten it heads up on the river. I missed. First player checked. I started to bet since the pot was huge and it was my only way to win. As soon as I put the first $4 in (I am very experienced with chip handling, having spent many years as a Craps dealer) the other guy shoved in his $8. Even though the game is spread limit it is VERY unusual to see other size bets. I pulled my hand full of chips back, leaving only the $4 out there.

The table exploded ... more of the same sort of xxxx that had been coming from the angle shooters. To this day I don’t know what came over me ... why I took that shot. I almost immediately handed the dealer $4 and told him to give it to the guy who won the pot. I apologized profusely. I blushed and stammered and apologized again, saying “I don’t know why I did that. I don’t play that way.”

The table reaction was astounding. “Now that’s class”, for example. The rest of the night I got paid off like you wouldn’t believe. It turned out to be one of my biggest ever wins at $4/8.

FWIW
Old 10-06-2005, 12:40 PM

not an angle at all. Pretty common actually, "Act like im gonna bet" to see what your gonna do. Heck Caro even writes about it in his book of Tells
Old 10-06-2005, 05:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
not an angle at all. Pretty common actually, "Act like im gonna bet" to see what your gonna do. Heck Caro even writes about it in his book of Tells

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I just said that... except you moved your hands like this