Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call or fold?
Call 111 65.68%
Fold 58 34.32%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-22-2005, 09:53 AM

Default Re: How much alcohol do you drink and is that a problem?

I think a much more practical definition of alcoholism is when it starts interfering with your life. If your drinking is harming your social life, your job, you relationship with your family, etc, yet you continue, you're an alcoholic.

I have anywhere from 0-8 drinks M-Th. Occasionally I won't have any beers after work; sometimes I'll have quite a few. Fridays I probably have 12 or so, and Saturday and Sunday are generally all-day drink fests while watching football. Its actually starting to impact my health, so I've been cutting back lately.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think a much more practical definition of alcoholism is when it starts interfering with your life. If your drinking is harming your social life, your job, you relationship with your family, etc, yet you continue, you're an alcoholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Although I kind of agree with it, this definition leads to problems. For instance, the alcoholic that drinks continually but doesn't get really drunk. No problems for 200 years, then he wakes up with no liver one day. Or the guy that binge drinks on the weekends. He's been doing it for years with no problems...until the night something really bad happens.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 AM

I thought I read that most men can drink 2-3 drinks a day before the alcohal starts having negative long term effects. Now if you drink all 14-21 drinks on the weekend then it isn't good.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:26 AM

I guess I focused more on behavioral issues than physical effects. Everyone knows that more than a couple drinks is harmful; not everyone who has more than a couple drinks is an alky.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I have anywhere from 0-8 drinks M-Th. Occasionally I won't have any beers after work; sometimes I'll have quite a few. Fridays I probably have 12 or so, and Saturday and Sunday are generally all-day drink fests while watching football. Its actually starting to impact my health, so I've been cutting back lately.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same habit of drinking a few beers in the evening, or a bottle of wine at dinner, plus going out in the weekends. I wonder what kind of damage this causes to my heart/liver/brain before I'm going to start noticing the consequences...
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM

There is a time and place for everything.

During undergrad I was definitely an alcoholic by most definitions for the amount of alcohol I drank. It was much more of a social thing. I loved drinking games. I definitely drank a crapload though.

After undergrad I have slowed down to the point of non existence. I'll have a drink every now and then and I'll go big every now and then but for the most part i don't drink much at all.

I think it is a problem if you are just getting sh1tfaced every weekend and you are over the age of 30.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it is a problem if you are just getting sh1tfaced every weekend and you are over the age of 30.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that a problem?

Is someone just fine if they smoke in their 20's, but once they hit 30, they're a problem drug user for smoking a joint every weekend?