Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2005, 05:09 AM

Default Re: AK under fire

Depending on exactly what sort of player he is, he's either probably betting a draw or betting with a hand that beats him.

I like getting the best read you can here, and either releasing the hand or moving in. You don't know whether he's on the flush or straight draw, so just calling could put you in a difficult position on the river.

Its hardly an easy fold, but I might fold if I had more experience with villain and knew he was really tight. With the information given, I just don't see a fold here.

What were results?
Old 09-07-2005, 07:03 AM

Doesn't it hurt Hero tableimage alot to not call this? If the other players know that Hero can be pushed away from TPTK getting 3.5-1 I have a feeling he will be pushed around a bit
Old 09-07-2005, 08:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Doesn't it hurt Hero tableimage alot to not call this? If the other players know that Hero can be pushed away from TPTK getting 3.5-1 I have a feeling he will be pushed around a bit

[/ QUOTE ]

Half your stack is a lot to call off just because of table image.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:34 AM

Majority of the time, Check-minraise on turn means "tptk no g00t"
Old 09-07-2005, 08:44 AM

Here though Hero has the advantage of being allin if he calls so he won't have to face new tough decision.
Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 AM

If you bet the turn, then you are committed, so get the rest in.

If you dont want to be committed, then dont bet the turn, and you can then call often on the river.

If you are planning to be committeed then bet 20 on the turn, and make sure you charge F.Ds plenty, because you are paying the other 15 on the river regardless of what hits.
Also - if this is part of your plan, then bet 8 on the flop, so now you can push the turn and not be overbetting wildly (20 would be in the middle, you would have 33 left, and there would be lots of potential draws).

So, if I was planning on going to the felt, then 8 on flop, and push the turn.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Results

I called the turn. The river blanked and the call for 5$ was trivial.
He had 87s.

What do you think of his flop call? Seems a bit loose to me. Maybe not since he took my stack.

Any other thoughts about this hand? Is this something I need to fix?

Thx.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you dont want to be committed, then dont bet the turn, and you can then call often on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do I do if a T, 6, 7, 8, J, or any spade hits and he bets big? Call?

[ QUOTE ]
If you are planning to be committeed then bet 20 on the turn, and make sure you charge F.Ds plenty, because you are paying the other 15 on the river regardless of what hits.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what planning to be committed means. 15 seems plenty to charge a flush draw on this turn. I don't really understand what a 8$ flop bet could accomplish that a 6$ bet wouldn't. Same with turn bet. I'm laying something like 2:1 and 2.3:1 odds on flop and river, I thought that would be major incorrect odds to take with a flush draw?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was not at all planning on getting my whole stack in on this hand. The way this played out, it just happened.

Question remains: are you folding to the minraise or not?

Anyway, I'm not at all saying you are wrong, but I'd like some more discussion on this. Thx for you comments.
Old 09-07-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Results

87 of spades? If so I like his call just fine. If it was offsuit, it was a terrible call irregardless of the result.

Nothing to fix really, just take more notes, especially have all the nits stickied so you know not to stack off to them.
Old 09-07-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do I do if a T, 6, 7, 8, J, or any spade hits and he bets big? Call?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can fold.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't understand what planning to be committed means. 15 seems plenty to charge a flush draw on this turn. I don't really understand what a 8$ flop bet could accomplish that a 6$ bet wouldn't. Same with turn bet. I'm laying something like 2:1 and 2.3:1 odds on flop and river, I thought that would be major incorrect odds to take with a flush draw?

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting 15 on the turn leaves you with 20 left, and if he calls the pot will be about 50, can you fold to a river push ? You would be getting 7-2 odds, which is pretty good.
If you dont think you could find a river fold, then you are giving him good implied odds - he calls 15 to win the pot of 19+15 and your final 20 that you will always call off. Thats 54:15 or almost 4:1.

The 8 on the flop makes the pot on the turn bigger and allows you to push without it being unreasonable. Pushing 33 into a 24 pot is a bit more reasaonable than putting 35 into a 19 pot. Thats all.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I was not at all planning on getting my whole stack in on this hand. The way this played out, it just happened.

Question remains: are you folding to the minraise or not?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope, I call all-in. If I bet the turn with the size of my stack Im prepared for the all-in.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I'm not at all saying you are wrong, but I'd like some more discussion on this. Thx for you comments.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I bet the turn, then I am ready to get all-in. Thus I dont care if he minraises or not, Im getting the money in and results be damned.

If Im not sure, then I check the turn and call a reasonable river bet, unless a spade falls and he lamps it hard. I might fold to a big bet on a scary card ... but I might not.

If, when I am considering my flop play, I decide that if I bet the flop, and villain calls, that I am going to bet again on the turn if it is not a flush card, then I would like to bet more on the flop, so that I can push the turn.

Just a little bit of preparation to get ready for the turn.