Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Ugly pissant A2s

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (7 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is BB with 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls, MP2 folds.

Flop: (9 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls, MP1 calls.

River: (10.50 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, CO calls, SB calls, Hero folds.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB

No reads, but from the four hands seen it's an excellent table.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Ugly pissant A2s

I like a slightly different line on the turn in a multiway pot here. I think that since it's now quite likely we're chopping, I prefer to: a) get money into the pot from players who are drawing so there's more money to split up if we're chopping; b) give others opportunities to maybe make some bad folds (I don't see another A folding here often... but sometimes).

So what do people think of:

1. Donking the turn.
2. Check-raising the turn.

The problem with a turn check-raise is we can't check behind on the river and take a free showdown, though we may be able to encourage a river check from our opponents. A donk is a little bit suspect because I'm not convinced we won't sometimes get raised by a hand we're tied with/beating.

Who knows? This hand sucks. It makes me feel dirty.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:01 PM

I'd bet the turn. You're likely chopping and I'd rather not give CO the opportunity to check through something like JJ/QQ/KQ on a fairly draw heavy board. Most players won't raise you without at least AK.

The way you played it I'd call the river. Nobody has an 8 and a 2-3-way chop seems likely enough to me that I'd call.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd bet the turn. You're likely chopping and I'd rather not give CO the opportunity to check through something like JJ/QQ/KQ on a fairly draw heavy board. Most players won't raise you without at least AK.

The way you played it I'd call the river. Nobody has an 8 and a 2-3-way chop seems likely enough to me that I'd call.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was thinking. The river better going into the CO was the only thing that made me fold this. I didn't have any reads, but the general LAP at 2/4 makes me think that river bet had an 8 or A9 on it.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:05 PM

I always bet the turn in these situations (i.e. TP-iffy kicker, multiway, board pairs on turn). You'll be raised by a worse hand ~never, and all sorts of hands and draws will call you.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm thinkin' turn donk is the way to go.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:09 PM

It's possible the river improved the river bettor. I don't think it's likely at all he has an 8 though given the lack of turn check/raise. But even bad players will donkbet rivers with weak aces. They may not understand why but I do see it quite a bit. I guess with only 3 choices everyone's bound to make correct decisions sometimes.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:21 PM

I just don't often run into this situation, and donkbetting is cool but I think I'm misplaying it a lot.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:30 PM

fold this trash preflop.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
fold this trash preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Don't post information involving preflop exclusively unless that's what's asked
2. Don't post stupid information involving preflop