Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2005, 12:55 AM

Default 2/4 w/ underfull, river raise standard or dumb?

prima 2/4nl, 8 handed.

villain has ~$1400, I have $400. Villain is not crazy although we havent played a big pot yet.

folded to me on button, i raise to $12 w/ 55, villain calls from the SB, BB folds.

flop: 5 Q 8 r (pot $32)
villain checks, I bet $28, villain min CRs to $56, I call.

turn: 5 Q 8 8 r (pot $138)
villain bets $58ish, I call.

river: 5 Q 8 8 K (pot $260ish)
villain bets $45ish, I push for about $270 more.

my reasoning: the flop minraise either means something retarded or monster, and I just called thinking i'll evaluate on the turn. on the turn i smoothcalled because if he has a bluff, smallerpair, or a Q he's folding to a raise. i also wanted to be cautious since flop minCRs often mean a set/2pair, and the turn 8 now means flopped twopairs are beating me. on the river, he only led a tiny amount, so i knew my hand was good and he's scared. but i didnt want to raise small since i like to auto mega-raise those vagina river bets with nothing, so in trying to be consistent i felt i had to drop the hammer here. even tho i knew i probably wasnt gettin called there.

hows my reasoning? anyone like raising the turn? and who thinks the river raise should be smaller? im starting to not like it, because i havent shown a big river bluffraise yet at this table, and the only logical hands that'll call are beating me.
Old 07-22-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: 2/4 w/ underfull, river raise standard or dumb?

nh i like it and i think Q5 is reasonable. as for the river i like it its pot sized and u arent gettin any raise called by hands u beat so hopefully this looks like a bluff, so given your read nh.
Old 07-22-2005, 05:47 AM

Default Re: 2/4 w/ underfull, river raise standard or dumb?

[ QUOTE ]
nh i like it and i think Q5 is reasonable.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he can have Q5, he can have Q8 with equal frequency. Q5 may not bet the river with a counterfitted 2 pair.

The Doc