Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 06:42 PM

Default Re: live 10-25: scare card hits the river

Good post Paragon.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:36 PM

i second that lapoker, good post paragon. that line in that type of spot has proved to be very effective.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:02 PM

Why would you push this river? I seriously don't see why. This board is pretty scary. The only hand that might call that you can beat is an overpair or 2pair JT (Which is highly unlikely). Look how he played it, he was either on a draw or just a complete dolt.

I think the only options for the river are to check and call if he bets small enough, or to bet small hoping for a crying call from a weaker hand. I think the small bet is best unless he loves bluff raising the river. Pushing all in seems like total chip spewing to me.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:34 AM

I'd really appreciate if someone responded to my question. So many people are advocating this and I can't understand why at all. Someone please explain this.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:08 AM

paragons post is really good... i started to respond to this post earlier, but had to run and deleted... paragons post says almost everything i was gonna say, so i proclaim he is a genious.
basically, this situation SUCKS, but you probably could have avoided it... if you check the turn in this situation, it really looks like you are giving up and in my experience, ppl will bet in pos a huge percentage of the time... therefore, i think checking and hoping to checkraise allin on turn was the play... now, pushing and check/calling any bet or check/folding (unless he makes a tiny bet) and hoping he just checks down a J all look about equally unappealing. maybe a weak lead and pay off any raise... they all seem equal to me, but if you bet anything, id call the rest because you will be getting a huge price and you dont need the stress/metagame disaster.
Old 07-19-2005, 04:16 AM

i pushed, he folded rather quickly, and i believe it was a pretty big mistake. i don't really see how he can call my push with a worse hand, but he probably calls another 500 with a jack, or alternately, he might try to bluff the flush card if i check to him.

and yes, to those who suggested a turn c/r, i like that idea and i do take that line sometimes as well.