Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2005, 03:45 PM

Default NL -> Limit $100 going up the stakes

Hey everyone, this is my first post in this forum. I've always spent my time on 2+2 in SSPL&NLHE, so I don't know if this post is stupid/redundant/inappropriate. If so, just let it die.

I've always been a NL player, currently at $100NL games. I've played maybe 5 hours of fixed limit hold'em in my life. I've been thinking for a while to take up some fixed limit playing, and today I finally did. I took $100 and put it into pokerroom. I will use this account for fixed limit cash games only.

The plan is to move up in limits as fast as I can. I will use a 100xPTBB bankroll, and move up whenever I have 100 big bets for the next level. When I drop below this, I'll move down again.

I started out 3-tabling $0.50-$1 HE today. I played for 1.5 hrs and ended up $36. When I reach $200, I will move up to $1-$2 FL HE.

I don't know if you have a lot of NL -> Limit threads in here. I'll try to comment on the biggest differences I see between the games.

My thought for today was:

In a NL game, if a lot of people fold before it's your turn, you can lower your starting hand requirements considerably. In a limit game, it almost seems as if you want to lower your starting hand requirements if there are a lot of people in the pot, so you can gamble and try to flop big. Any thoughts on that?

And a question: is there a rule of thumb of how to play small pairs preflop? In a NL game, I almost never fold em PF.

Anyway, I wonder how this is gonna turn out. Hope it will be interesting.

All comments and advice is appreciated.
Old 11-05-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: NL -> Limit $100 going up the stakes

[ QUOTE ]
The plan is to move up in limits as fast as I can. I will use a 100xPTBB bankroll, and move up whenever I have 100 big bets for the next level. When I drop below this, I'll move down again.

[/ QUOTE ]

This practice will lead you to increased ROR, but since it's only $100, don't sweat it. It should be fun. For a more permanent roll, 300-500bb is good (this depends on your winrate).

[ QUOTE ]

In a NL game, if a lot of people fold before it's your turn, you can lower your starting hand requirements considerably. In a limit game, it almost seems as if you want to lower your starting hand requirements if there are a lot of people in the pot, so you can gamble and try to flop big. Any thoughts on that?

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL! Here's one: read SSHE? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But you're right. Looking at a hand like 22 in MP2: if it's folded to you, you fold. A hand like 77, though, you might raise if it's folded to you, limp if 2-3 players limp, raise if a weak player limps alone, and fold if one tight player limps early. I'm not sure as I haven't played much in a while.

You do have to be careful that you don't totally open your game to the point where you're playing like 25-30% of hands though... this is probably -EV over the long-term.

[ QUOTE ]

And a question: is there a rule of thumb of how to play small pairs preflop? In a NL game, I almost never fold em PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how the game is playing. In a loose game, go ahead and limp in EP. In a tight game, maybe raise? I don't know... that seems pretty ballsy, and you'd better be amazing post-flop.

However, you have to be careful because your implied odds aren't as good post-flop as they would be in NLHE (though the preflop raises are smaller in LHE too, which helps your implied odds).

Part of your consideration with having a set post-flop is that if the board is draw heavy, and they have a draw, then your implied odds aren't a function of what amount of money goes in, but they're a function of what amount of cash goes in, multiplied by your equity in the hand. You may be giving up a lot of equity when you can't make a flush draw fold, for example.

[ QUOTE ]

Anyway, I wonder how this is gonna turn out. Hope it will be interesting.

All comments and advice is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're playing full ring, right?

Good luck, bud. Have a good time.

OOC, what's the winrate of a good player in the NLHE $100 game on party?

--Dave.