Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-05-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Masters Tickets

After about 10 years of trying, I just got notified that I've finally gotten selected to get tickets to a Masters practice round. I'm thrilled.

Anyone been? Is Atlanta the best airport to fly into? (I realize there are others closer, but I'm not sure how much service is available into them). Any tips on where to stay or anything else practical like that?
Old 09-05-2005, 10:59 PM

Default Re: Masters Tickets

[ QUOTE ]
After about 10 years of trying, I just got notified that I've finally gotten selected to get tickets to a Masters practice round. I'm thrilled.

[/ QUOTE ]

This might make you cry, so it would be best to turn your head...

I've been to the Masters practice rounds every year since 1994 without tickets. Scalpers, man.

But hey, congratulations. You will LOVE IT.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone been? Is Atlanta the best airport to fly into? (I realize there are others closer, but I'm not sure how much service is available into them). Any tips on where to stay or anything else practical like that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Depends on how much you want to spend via rental car, etc. Augusta has a smallish airport, Atlanta could be more convenient and simpler, but might cost a little more.

You're going to be a little surprised regarding Augusta. It's essentially a big fat suburb that surrounds a trashy long road (Washington Road). It will look like the roads off the interstates, with all the gas stations and mini malls. Anyways, plenty of hotels and such to find, but reserve early if possible.

Wednsday is the best day, because you can come in the morning and watch people play and attend the par 3 contest in the afternoon. Tuesday is also good, with Monday trailing behind bc a lot of people are coming in from the tournament that ended the previous day, whatever it is.

Only place you can get autographs is between the clubhouse and the driving range. Things are always insanely packed, and it's not worth going unless you reaaallly like getting autographs or you have a kid going with you.

GET COMFORTABLE SHOES. EVEN FOR YOUR WIFE. GOLF SHOES = NO!

Best places to watch:
-Behind the 3rd green/4th tee
-Behind 2nd green/8th teebox/7th green
-Behind 18th hole
-Behind 12th green/11th green/13th teebox area
-Behind 13th hole
-By left side of 15th hole, back row of seats, watch ppl hitting on 15 and teeing off on 16 par3

FOOD:
-Get a pimento cheese sandwhich
-Clubs and BBQ's are usually good, chicken sandwhiches are cold

This is all I can think of for now.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 AM

i was lucky enough to go there a few years ago for a practice round.

it was unbelievable. congrats on the tickets!
Old 09-07-2005, 01:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This might make you cry, so it would be best to turn your head...

I've been to the Masters practice rounds every year since 1994 without tickets. Scalpers, man.

But hey, congratulations. You will LOVE IT.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've thought about that, after getting passed over several times, but getting them this way seems so much sweeter.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:10 PM

Thanks for all the info. My tickets are for Monday. I know that's the "Worst" day to go, but still not bad. I was at Baltusrol for the PGA on Monday this year and we saw a fair number of big names. Really looking forward to it.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:59 AM

The practice rounds are awesome. I'd say Wednesday is actually the worst day (despite the Par 3 contest), not Monday, but that's a matter of opinion.

If it isn't much more, I'd consider flying into and staying in Columbia, SC, which is about an hour away from Augusta. That's where I stayed the last time I went, and it worked out really well. Columbia is pretty cool, and there was too much traffic in Augusta to make me want to hang around.

Last tip is of the DUH! variety: Book your hotel early. When I went to book in January, the only place within 30 miles available was a Motel 6 or Ramada or something, and it was like $300/night. I ended up paying $70 in Columbia for a nicer place.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:59 AM

Just found out that a buddy also got 4 for Monday-Wednesday. He was down last year and apparently stayed at a rented house (he got in through an in-law's company somehow). He said we may be able to get in there....if not, I'll definitely book something in the very near future...
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM

Monday is awesome. The course Monday morning will look like heaven.
And the "patrons" are few, relative to Wednesday afternoon.
Although you may not see all of your favorites, most will be there.

Comfortable shoes, clothes! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]