Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2005, 05:55 PM

Default Re: i probly should stop autobetting flops----AJ in 3way pot

Hmm, interesting. A lot of the respected posters like to three-bet it for value. Maybe I should do this. In this situation, I'm really only three betting with AQ or better, or a pair like 77+.

Even if you accept the three-bet for value line, shouldnt what you do depend a lot on how the button and small blind are going to play after the flop. For guys that are capable of folding on 4th street, I see how the three-bet works. But for guys who will call you down all the way to the river with 22 or if they flop bottom pair, I think the 3-bet is harder to justify. And if the button is capable of getting squirrely on you like raising on the turn or raising the flop then betting the turn, I think the positional disadvantage is pretty hard to overcome without a committment to spew.

Of course I might just be weak tight.
Old 07-15-2005, 06:06 PM

shouldn't that argument hold for AK as well? although you're getting more value PF so it won't be as pronounced obviously. I guess we could just check the turn if we miss (we still get the value pf), and mix in c/r's if it becomes a problem from a metagame standpoint
Old 07-15-2005, 06:32 PM

I'll tell you why AQ I would three-bet and why AJ I would not. Against AQ, there is only 1 overcard that can fall and not improve your hand. If a king falls, it is somewhat harder to play. But against AJ, there are 2 overs (K, Q) that could have you drawing thin, and it is quite tough to continue, esp. if anybody in position is aggressive.