Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 10:41 AM

Default Re: KQs BB - Aces Flop

Well, my thinking with the two aces flopping was that he was raising with a smaller PP, as he has done before. That said I figured I was drawing to 6 outs, plus the BD flush draw, so I took a stab as it seemed I had odds for a call.

Obviously I'm not happy the way I played it at all. I've gone through all the options and I'm still not sure what I should have done:
<ul type="square">My weak-tightedness says check-fold the flop, but it looked like I had odds for a call (assuming no A, so I know that's close).

If I lead the flop, I'll likely get raised, even against a small PP. Now where am I?[/list]In retrospect, check-calling the flop and leading the turn might have been good, as it might have been the best way to represent the A, especially since I hit an assumed out.

Obviously, I was folding the turn without a club, K or Q. My main question with all of this is that I know if I'm going to continue, I need to be more aggressive somewhere.

Assuming I'm continuing on the flop (whether that decision is good or bad) where is the best spot to get moving?
Old 03-17-2005, 10:43 AM

Since MP2 and SB folded, I would checkraise and open on the turn given your read.

If either of them had called the flop bet, I would've folded.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:48 AM

hey chuck,

its obvious that you have an interest in this pot. after you check and the other players drop out and the pot is heads-up you need to be aggressive. if you plan on calling a bet, be the one betting. and if your read on the villain is accurate and he could have a pair as low as 44 here, i will fire every single street even if i miss.
Old 03-17-2005, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i agree. the only reason to check this flop would be with
the intention of check raising to push the villain off one of the hands that he raises with lightly preflop. betting is better than check calling and check raising is a comparable option. if he raises your flop bet or 3-bets your check raise then i would fold instantly. a lot of players love to bet at paired boards with pocket pairs in their hand. it is so blatantly obvious at what they hold.

[/ QUOTE ]
What am I missing? All the "lead the flop" advice might make sense to me if it were already heads-up, but its not. Doesn't the presence of the two other callers affect our line? We can try to push the PFR off a light raising hand, but we aren't going to push off one of the other two from an A. Once they fold though, everything changes.
Old 03-17-2005, 11:05 AM

you bring up a good point, but one way or another the other two people will be reacting to the villain's flop action whether we bet or not. so you might argue the point that checking benefits hero more so he can see the action playout on the flop. but then, i might argue that betting this flop will put pressure on the villain as he still has two other people behind him to act who "might" have aces. i think there are pros to both checking and betting this flop, but all im trying to say is that at some point by the turn hero should have taken the lead in this hand.