Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-21-2005, 11:21 AM

Default Overpair on paired board

Here's a situation I've been having trouble with lately.

Party 1/2. Let's say you are in early position with Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. You raise first in, button calls, and BB calls. Flop comes

J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]

BB checks, I bet, Button folds, and BB check-raises.

Hero?????

What's your thinking here? In my mind, most likely, he's check-raising the J. If he weren't a blind, I'd be less inclined to believe he has a 7 and I'd three-bet. Assume he's a non-retarded, typical Party 1/2 player.

What's your line and, if you three-bet, what do you do if he caps?
Old 01-21-2005, 11:25 AM

Default Re: Overpair on paired board

[ QUOTE ]
What's your line and, if you three-bet, what do you do if he caps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I 3-bet everytime here. If he caps and leads out on the turn, then its check/call mode all the way down.
Old 01-21-2005, 11:39 AM

If he has a 7, he is check/raising you on the turn at a high % of time in party 1/2 game.
Why would he want to push out overcards (most PFR) if he already has trip with NO flush draw or straigt draw for a preflop raiser?
I sometimes 3 bet here, sometimes call and pop him on the turn. Unless he is a MEGA passive rock, I am showing down this hand HU.
Old 01-21-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If he has a 7, he is check/raising you on the turn at a high % of time in party 1/2 game.
Why would he want to push out overcards (most PFR) if he already has trip with NO flush draw or straigt draw for a preflop raiser?
I sometimes 3 bet here, sometimes call and pop him on the turn. Unless he is a MEGA passive rock, I am showing down this hand HU.

[/ QUOTE ]

How does your play change if the button comes along for the ride? If he calls in-between and then we both get CR'd, is three-betting still worthwhile? If I respected the button, I'd pretty much give HIM credit for the 7. What about a normal Party "calling station"? Am I just thinking too much? Thoughts???
Old 01-21-2005, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does your play change if the button comes along for the ride?

[/ QUOTE ]
Any read on Button? Button cold call before the flop.
What hand will he cold call in this case will have a 7, these is no chance of a multiway port. If he has ONLY ONE 7, should you still repect him?

I put him on small/mid pairs or two overcards on the flop. If he calls, he likely has two overcards. Having 3 - 6 outs to your QQ, 3 bets make more sense to drive him out then.
He will surely raise with a AJ. He may even raise 88 99 on the flop.