Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 05:53 PM

Default Re: New Yorkers, where would you live in NYC for $3k/mo?

[ QUOTE ]

Frankly, if you can afford it, I would think about spending $4-5k, because then your options open up and you can start looking at places that you could actually consider "home". What you get for $4k+ is so much more than what you get for ~$3k and is in another world from what you get for ~$2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having just gone through the moving thing and looking into all kinds of stuff (including some of the above even though I had no intention of spending this much) I think the above is true.

You can get a pimp 1 br in a luxury bldg in most neighborhoods if you're willing to bump up your spend. 3K will get you a perfectly fine 1 br in a great neighborhood, but if you want to have the best options you need to spend a little more.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
given that access to trains is key, I would go with somewhere around union square or somewhere around west 4th st, leaning heavily towards w4th cause the west village is a lot more neigborhood like than the union square area.

if you generally cab it late at night I wouldn't worry so much about living near a big train stop, but if not it will save you a lot of waiting around time.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like Sushi Samba a lot, so W 4th is good. I think around there or around Union Square are prob the places. Maybe Tribeca.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree. My point was that it is in no way a step down from a TT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely not...its Acura's friggin flagship. Step up if you ask me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I kid... I kid.... of course its a step up

The RL is awesome. But lets face it, I love to drive my TT. So its going to be tough walking away from my baby girl if I make the switch. If I stick with the Audi, then I would switch from stick to the top of the line tiptronic V6, I think its 46K base, I can't verify cause the website is down for maintenance.

AS FOR THE MINI I wasn't kidding. If I am forced to save $$$ while keeping a car, then the mini is the best bet I have seen so far. Its all up to the IRS, I owe them a ton.

PS: Jersey City Rules!

TT [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Frankly, if you can afford it, I would think about spending $4-5k, because then your options open up and you can start looking at places that you could actually consider "home". What you get for $4k+ is so much more than what you get for ~$3k and is in another world from what you get for ~$2k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Having just gone through the moving thing and looking into all kinds of stuff (including some of the above even though I had no intention of spending this much) I think the above is true.

You can get a pimp 1 br in a luxury bldg in most neighborhoods if you're willing to bump up your spend. 3K will get you a perfectly fine 1 br in a great neighborhood, but if you want to have the best options you need to spend a little more.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I was kind of afraid of based on cruising around and checking out some places from time to time.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I was kind of afraid of based on cruising around and checking out some places from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you tell us what kind of place you currently live in (square footage), and what you would expect for your 3K/month.

Keep in mind that in NYC the general rule is the average resident pays 25%-30% of their income on housing. So if you are clearing more than 144K/year (I would assume so, but I don't want to be that bold), you might want to consider paying more per month to find the ideal location.

Old 08-03-2005, 06:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why don't you tell us what kind of place you currently live in (square footage), and what you would expect for your 3K/month.

Keep in mind that in NYC the general rule is the average resident pays 25%-30% of their income on housing. So if you are clearing more than 144K/year (I would assume so, but I don't want to be that bold), you might want to consider paying more per month to find the ideal location.

[/ QUOTE ]

25-30% before or after tax?
Old 08-03-2005, 06:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

25-30% before or after tax?

[/ QUOTE ]

Before. Sad isn't it?

Old 08-03-2005, 06:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think expecting to pay under 3K for a one-bedroom in a doorman building is perfectly reasonable with only very few exceptions.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:48 PM

Dude, rental? With all that money that you'll get from selling your company, you'll be able to BUY all of manhattan yourself. Gift of Gab could be your butler, and bad beetz your doorman.

I'll be your "financial advisor."
Old 08-03-2005, 06:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think expecting to pay under 3K for a one-bedroom in a doorman building is perfectly reasonable with only very few exceptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but not a great doorman building.