Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2005, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Post a poker variation you\'ve made up

We had something like this. Everyone got 5 cards, then (N+1)*3 cards were placed faceup in the middle (N being the number of players). After a round of betting, a player could discard a card face down on the board in place of picking one up. They also had the option of following that up by discarding another card and drawing from the top of the deck, although anyone who did so then had to go at the end of subsequent betting rounds (this option was probably unecessary). This went on for a total of 3 rounds, at the end of which hands went to showdown.

It made for some interesting strategy, sort of a game theory problem. For example, if three aces were up, and someone started taking them, it became apparent they were drawing to quads. So someone had to take an A to prevent that, but the A may well have been useless to everyone else, but of course if no one took 1 (or 2) then everyone would lose.
Old 12-18-2005, 04:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We had something like this. Everyone got 5 cards, then (N+1)*3 cards were placed faceup in the middle (N being the number of players). After a round of betting, a player could discard a card face down on the board in place of picking one up. They also had the option of following that up by discarding another card and drawing from the top of the deck, although anyone who did so then had to go at the end of subsequent betting rounds (this option was probably unecessary). This went on for a total of 3 rounds, at the end of which hands went to showdown.

It made for some interesting strategy, sort of a game theory problem. For example, if three aces were up, and someone started taking them, it became apparent they were drawing to quads. So someone had to take an A to prevent that, but the A may well have been useless to everyone else, but of course if no one took 1 (or 2) then everyone would lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

i hope its a very friendly home game. because that game has collusion written all over it
Old 12-18-2005, 07:26 PM

Double pot-limit hold'em. You're allowed to bet up to 2X the pot, which can help you protect a hand on the flop against flush draws.
Old 12-19-2005, 04:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
From my home game. We call it Blue Steel (why, I don't know, and I was there the night it was invented)

[/ QUOTE ]

Zoolander. Someone must've just watched it. (Though maybe it refers to the fact that Zoolander gives you as much of a headache as this game you invented [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 12-19-2005, 09:42 PM

Pretty much every variation I've ever made up involves profound drinking.

Best was NL 5 card draw, deuces through fives, (yes, deuces through fives) wild. Folding quads was common, and getting out-quinted was a relatively common occurance.

Drink an ounce for every (arbitrary value) chip you lose in a pot, so that only the winner can escape drinking on any particular round.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 AM

in vegas a guy sittin next to me told me about 'river of blood holdem' i duno if everyone already knows about it but its pretty fun:

holdem as usual, if the river is a red suit, then another card is dealt with another betting round, if that card (6th street) is red, then you deal 7th street, and continue until a black card comes.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM

This IS Pineapple.

When you discard after the flop it's Crazy Pineapple.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This IS Pineapple.

When you discard after the flop it's Crazy Pineapple.

[/ QUOTE ]

well, I "made" it up before I knew what pineapple was.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:12 PM

Oh I just thought up a good one right now reading this thread.

Aces Can Draw Hold Em

If a player has an ace in the hole at any point in the hand a player can request a new hole card by trading in the ace to the dealer for a new one out of the deck.
Old 12-18-2005, 07:48 PM

Omaha/10 low hand is like 2-7