Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Calling with any two cards

You are in the SB with at 15/30. How many limpers does it take to comlete with 72o, 83o etc.?
Old 12-12-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Calling with any two cards

Sometimes zero. With a 2/3 blind structure. And a weak BB.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:20 PM

i usually play any two always unless the BB is super aggro, but i dont know if its right
Old 12-12-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i usually play any two always unless the BB is super aggro, but i dont know if its right

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is correct to call with any two, no matter how many people are in. The more people are in the better your pot odds, and the less people are in the higher the chance you have of winning the pot which makes up for the lower pot odds. And like you said newhizzle, the one exception to this strategy is when the BB is very aggressive. I have no hard data to back this up, but that is how I approach this situation in a 2-3 structure.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it is correct to call with any two, no matter how many people are in. The more people are in the better your pot odds, and the less people are in the higher the chance you have of winning the pot which makes up for the lower pot odds. And like you said newhizzle, the one exception to this strategy is when the BB is very aggressive. I have no hard data to back this up, but that is how I approach this situation in a 2-3 structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whatever you do, I don't think you can call and fold unless its a timid player. If I make a call with T [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and the BB raises in a HU pot, I call. I know the value is not there given that I can't beat a random hand, but I think not contesting this pot puts you in a precarious situation on future pots. Flame me, but I have called with 72s before and been raised HU and contested the pot. BB had AQ and I made a pair of dueces on the flop and I was basically called a moron for it, but I don't see how completing and laying down is good poker against an aggressive opponent.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:36 PM

Ok what about in a 1/2 blind structure?
Old 12-13-2005, 09:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, I don't think you can call and fold unless its a timid player. If I make a call with T 2 and the BB raises in a HU pot, I call. I know the value is not there given that I can't beat a random hand, but I think not contesting this pot puts you in a precarious situation on future pots. Flame me, but I have called with 72s before and been raised HU and contested the pot. BB had AQ and I made a pair of dueces on the flop and I was basically called a moron for it, but I don't see how completing and laying down is good poker against an aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem here I think is the mistake made when you complete T2s or 72s against an aggressive BB...do you see why?
Old 12-13-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem here I think is the mistake made when you complete T2s or 72s against an aggressive BB...do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]
So, fold to a raise. Even aggressive players don't raise in the BB very often.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So, fold to a raise. Even aggressive players don't raise in the BB very often.

[/ QUOTE ]

It tends to happen quite a bit when it's simply a SB v. BB confrontation. I would venture that aggressive players raise about half the time here.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Whatever you do, I don't think you can call and fold unless its a timid player. If I make a call with T 2 and the BB raises in a HU pot, I call. I know the value is not there given that I can't beat a random hand, but I think not contesting this pot puts you in a precarious situation on future pots. Flame me, but I have called with 72s before and been raised HU and contested the pot. BB had AQ and I made a pair of dueces on the flop and I was basically called a moron for it, but I don't see how completing and laying down is good poker against an aggressive opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, I see why. I think the biggest problem with this comes in the 15/30 where the 2/3 structure gives you odds to call. Now, if the BB is going to raise liberally here just because he has position, you're going to have to call liberally to avoid giving your positive expectation to him every time this situation comes up. Of course, a counter tactic is to fold the bottom x% and go to war with the upper x% and try to regain the expection lost by letting him pump your selected hands thereby giving you a theoretical edge. You're probably going to have to make up some of this expectation in postflop play (which is usually much easier in a blind war).