Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 11-03-2005, 10:12 AM

Default Re: DERB

Hand 1.

What ever, i don't do this play because BBs are loose, nothing major.

Hand 2.

On the turn it's pretty easy just to say, 'he has no folding equity' but given this guy seems to known more than us about poker we need to be more detailed than that. Button's hand range is hard to read here and this is were the expert higher level thinking than us may be coming in!? KQ is unlikely, no flop raise. AK is possible, not too likely though. Flush? With what, DERB holds As Qs on the board Ks would have raised the flop, TJs possible, not all too likely though, with a read it could def be not at all possible. 55? A lot of players raise the flop, possible though. So that a very small hand range since most of the range is 'maybe, but not likely' and thus increasing the chances of a bluff. So maybe he has folding equity? But i can't see against what bluffs he wins on the river?

Metagame? Sure, giving action with just the flush draw will increase action with made hands, his range is well balanced, KK QQ AK KQ AsJ,T i just think it doesn't need to be, esp. not for the cost of lower implied odds, beat with bad equity, not a huge cost, but i don't see the need.

Hand 3.

I guess he was hoping to pick off a bluff from my QJ that in his loony land didn't make a straight? My river range is prob TJ TQ QJ A9 that may have decided not to induce a bluff raise A8, so that leaves 67 bluff?

Hand 4.

I like his play, after not getting capped i would have value betted. This hand prob deserves it's own thread.

Hand 5.

Preflop i don't, but lets entertain it. Flop raise has to have bad equity on the raise, but it's probably the best line from all the lines that individually are -EV yet with pot size are +EV. River i would have value betted. AT vs AJ AK that pays off the draw board.

Hand 6.

Easy value bet.

Hand 7.

Peflop lets entertain. Flop here is one that probably gets dismissed pretty quickly as very bad, then the 2nd thought of 'well MP may be making a free card 3 bet' makes it seem ok. Then the 3rd thought of 'with what?' makes it seem like it sucks, only free card plays are JJ AsK, legit hands are QQ KK AA AQ AKs.

River is well paid because of AA KK AQ no suit will check behind but pay off.

Hand 8.

Flop lead with a draw here sucks, you are getting raised often and only 99 is folding.

So yea, not much i agree with. Either i'm wrong without realising it and DERB is at a way higher thought than me or DERB sucks and is winning somehow.

We should all raise $500 and get erik123/Abdul Jalib or someone of that level to analyse a few 100 hands of his so we can put an end to this 'higher level thinking'.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:55 AM

Default Re: More Derb Hands

[ QUOTE ]
and what about the hands that are being presented that not even metagame considerations can save?

[/ QUOTE ]

Example? I remember seeing 1 A high calldown in the hands posted in this thread that looked really bad on its own and ive certainly seen hands that look bad when playing w/ him but I'm not so sure anymore. Gimme a hand that you dont think metagame considerations / game theory can explain. Im begining to think that much of his play can be explained through unconventional (by 2+2 wisdom) game theory adaptations.

He certainly gets out of line on the turn and river much more often than most winning players but he also gets much more action on his strong hands on the turn and river. Additionally he seldom seems to be far out of line without at the very least a redraw. The real problem is that I am only looking at hands he showed down which usually means he won the hand so I'm not getting to see all the times he does this with complete crap. His going to showdown too often with losers as others have mentioned could be his way of gaurenteeing he is never bluffed, a sort of safegaurd that may be necessary with his style / multitabling, im not sure, just speculating.

This is all just food for thought.

-Brad
Old 11-03-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Abdul Jalib

[ QUOTE ]

I take it that the slovenian players that frequent Party mid high games are in someway connected to Abdul?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would be an odd coincidence indeed if these were not related.

-Brad
Old 11-03-2005, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Either i'm wrong without realising it and DERB is at a way higher thought than me or DERB sucks and is winning somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands play a lot different when you are 20/15 vs 15/10. I'm sure the effect is more pronounced once your VPIP gets higher and higher.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:16 PM

You guys better figure out what DERB is doing before he moves up to the 400/800 and higher live games and you can no longer analyze his play.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:18 PM

His BB's won at showdown is right in line with most other players, so it doesn't seem like he's getting that much excessive action, if any.

I still contend he wins as much as he does with his extremely loose raising/3-betting standards and his relentless bluffing/semi-bluffing after the flop. He's playing heads up poker, but with 10 people at the table. His opponents seem to be virtually guaranteeing a win for him by folding to him too much, and the number of pots I see him take down uncontested, for a guy who raises any 2 suited and will 3 bet 6 high, is just ridiculous.

Now, stox disagrees with me about this point, but I believe that DERB could sum up his strategy on one page, stox thinks you could write a book about it.

I've played a lot with DERB, and when it comes to actual *decision making* post flop, he seems to suck. 9/10 times, when he is raising, or being raised, he is behind but doesn't seem to know it. I can only conclude that it's the pre-flop pounding that makes up for his gross post-flop errors and allows him to win so healthily.

I find it strange though that James thinks he sucks at 10-handed games. He may have very little intuitive poker skill, which is indeed my opinion, but his "system", if you can call it that, is very effective and appears to be winning big money for him.

Just to add: I'd like to be wrong about all of the above,and hope Stox will explain in detail where he thinks I am wrong on this so that I can stop feeling like all the time I spend working on my post-flop game isn't a waste of time. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We should all raise $500 and get erik123/Abdul Jalib or someone of that level to analyse a few 100 hands of his so we can put an end to this 'higher level thinking'.

[/ QUOTE ]

ill contribute.

-Brad
Old 11-03-2005, 12:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Add to that: He often seems to have some outs (gutshot etc) when making a move on the turn with a questionable hand. Somewhat analogous to a NL SuperSystem bluffing style. Hence all the bad beats he dishes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recently Ive encountered more players at higher limits doing just this. DERB is not alone in this tactic. Additionally, Greenstien makes mention of employing a similar strategy in his book.

-Brad
Old 11-03-2005, 12:50 PM

Anybody have long-term stats on him? (The ones you get when you click on "more detail" in PT . . .)
Old 11-03-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody have long-term stats on him? (The ones you get when you click on "more detail" in PT . . .)

[/ QUOTE ]
And does anyone have a decent number of hands on him since the original DERB thread so we avoid the sampling bias problem?