Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 07:10 PM

Default K4o SB HU

$100/200 folded to me I complete. Renaud (from 2p2) checks.

I have a 17% flops seen on this table (6 handed) and he has probably noticed I'm playing extremely tight. My only other notable prior history is going way too many bets on the flop with a gutshot vs him and hitting (yesterday), so that may still be in the back of his mind with regards to what he thinks of my play.

Flop 743. I bet, he calls. Turn ace, I check, he checks. River 9. I bet. Good?
Old 10-07-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: K4o SB HU

I don't get the turn check. Are you trying for a checkraise? I think you're ahead here on the flop and the ace is a good card for you. Your pair is about as vulnerable as it gets, so why no bet? I would also value bet the river.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:21 PM

What was plan on turn?

-blake
Old 10-07-2005, 07:31 PM

i like the check on the turn only if you were going to c/r.

bottom line, you're going to showdown the minute you saw this flop.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:37 PM

Plz explain the turn check. I feel like im missing something here. On the turn you have a hand that could easily be in the lead at the moment but vulnerable to many river cards, so a bet looks right to me. I would like to know why you checked here.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:38 PM

i think this is a good time for a rvr check. especially after you checked the turn.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:39 PM

bet the turn, pair of 4s is not something I would give him a free card with.

does he routinely check behind Ax in the BB? I would consider that ace to be a blank with how the action has gone so far, clear bet and re-evalute imo.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think this is a good time for a rvr check. especially after you checked the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why do you check the river in this spot? I am asking this not becuz I disagree with your decision but becuz im curious as to your thinking of checking the river vs betting the river. I think the hero bet the river becuz he felt he would get called by many hands he can beat given the way he played his hand on the turn. King highs, 3x,and 4x will probably call him but may check behind him if he checks. I am unsure as to what the right decision is on the river.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM

I think the turn check is to help create post flop balance.

If I complete, there's a lot of hands I'm betting here on this flop that have no showdown value. So if he knows that and calls, I don't want him to be able to start calling to see if I check the turn and give up (against predictable opponents when I'm in position vs them HU I will often call the flop just because they often give up if they have nothing and let me take the pot with a turn bet).

That is the reason for the turn check. And no, it was going to be a check/call turn, and bet out on the river, if he did bet the turn.

EDIT: after posting the hand I sent NLSoldier a link to it and he responded to me, "boring" and "what street is interesting?", where as I look at pretty much every street here as pretty interesting and important to get right since most the decisions and reasons for them are fairly close. Everyone knows how to play TPTK or sets or stuff but it's how often you make the right choices with middle pair and bottom pair and no pair (esp when out of position against a good opponent) that make a huge difference.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:49 PM

Re: the river bet

I'm trying to put him on a hand since he didn't raise preflop and called the flop and checked behind on the turn. I'm guessing Q5, K6, 86, type hands.
[Maybe a monster like flopped straight or 2 pair that didn't want to lose you on the turn but I doubt it since--- he shouldn't have an ace in his hand since he didn't raise preflop and you know that --- therefore a turn bet by him is good to induce a bluff raise on your part.]
I think it comes down to did he flop a pair?
So you would have to tell us whether or not it is likely he would have raised a pair on the flop. I'm guessing yes.

What can he put you on? Any flopped pair or straight draw I believe. Neither of you should have ace-high but there may be meta-hand stuff going on that may make an ace possible. So the straight draw would have to be:
A) 52, 58 or 68
B) Qx, Kx
and I'm not sure you would call 52 or Qx.

So what hands can you beat that he would call the river with? A bluff catching Q high/King high or a paired 4 or 3.

If he would have raised the flop with a pair then I think the river bet may be -EV. There's also possible he took one off on the flop and the 9 hit him. I would check-call for the slim hope it induces a bluff.