Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 08:55 PM

Default River Overcall Worthwhile or Wasteful?

Mid Limit game online. I have J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] and open for a raise in the cutoff. The button coldcalls, SB folds, BB calls. No reads. Flop comes 10 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. BB checks, I bet, button calls, BB calls. Turn is the 6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Check to me, I bet and both call again. River is the 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Ugly. BB checks, I check, button bets and BB calls. Is paying off here a waste or prudent?

Jeff
Old 08-03-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: River Overcall Worthwhile or Wasteful?

you have to call this.. sure, overcalling feels pretty weak/fishy sometimes, but the way the hand went down, you're good way too often to justify folding here. bb has shown no strength at all, and the button could easily be trying to steal w/ a missed flush or straight draw... i call and expect to win a decent percentage of the time
Old 08-03-2005, 09:57 PM

I always call this, button could be valuebetting AT,KT,JT or betting his missed QJ, and bb is just calling to make sure button is doing the right thing [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 09:58 PM

Bet it! They'll call with worse hands!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:34 PM

My first impression was that you absolutely have to bet this river, but the more I think about it, a check and call can't be that bad.

It gives a worse hand a chance to bluff at the pot, and it is an easy fold if the BB reraises. Your hand is good here plenty often enough to call a bet, and by checking and calling, you give your opponents a chance to lose an extra bet if they are behind.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:35 PM

I'd make the call. There aren't that many hand with an 8 in them that make sense calling the flop bet but not being heard from before now. You'll be ahead at least 1 in 9.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 PM

Location: \"Let me make it nearly unanimous -- misplayed on every street.\"

Hi Jeff-

I hate putting myself in this position. In this case it's online and I end up calling but hating how I played the river. Live I always have such a better idea of what to do.
Old 08-04-2005, 08:56 AM

Default RESULTS

Yea, I was multitabling and botched this by folding. Just one of those that seemed right as a snap decision, but if I'd taken a minute to think about it, I would have called. Button had A3o...yes, no pair, no draw at all. BB called with Q10. Arg. Oh well, live and learn.

Jeff
Old 08-04-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

[ QUOTE ]
Yea, I was multitabling and botched this by folding. Just one of those that seemed right as a snap decision, but if I'd taken a minute to think about it, I would have called. Button had A3o...yes, no pair, no draw at all. BB called with Q10. Arg. Oh well, live and learn.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]OMGOMG you folded trips here?!? thats is just wierd... why didnt you bet the river?
Old 08-04-2005, 09:57 AM

Default Re: RESULTS

I'm running badly online. Plain and simple. And I made a bad laydown. It somehow made sense in my head and I just went with it without thinking about how the hand actually played out. You know it was tempting to just post something like, I called and looked at a straight. But I'm not going to lie to this board. I play bad sometimes and this was one of those times.

As for betting, I think you are right but I'd of course have to fold to a raise right? Sometimes when you get 3-bet on the turn 5 times in the night by someone with a flush draw when you flop a set or two pair and they hit, you get a little gunshy.

Jeff