Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 12:47 AM

Default What did I do wrong, how

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (5 handed) converter

Hero ($32.35)
BB ($47.15)
UTG ($54.10)
MP ($36.55)
Button ($7.95)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero completes, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $1.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $4.6</font>, BB calls $3.

Flop: ($9.10) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5.5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $11</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $27.85</font>, BB calls $16.85.

Turn: ($64.80) 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: ($64.80) 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: $64.80

How Could I have played this hand differently?
In case it doesn't show, he had pocket sevens...
Thanks,
Mario
Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: What did I do wrong, how

Your first mistake was letting villian flop a set.
Your second mistake was not spiking a J or T on the river.

If you are willing to go to the felt with JJ, you might want to raise preflop and push to a reraise. The flop push was bad, as this is clearly a way-ahead/way-behind situation.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:25 AM

The limp/reraise PF was horrible. Just raise. Call if he reraises. On the flop, bet 3/4 pot. Fold if raised.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:02 PM

Raise Pre Flop.

The whole hand plays differently.

JJ 6-handed is an absolute MONSTER. Stop thinking this is a bad hand. I'd take JJ EVERY TIME 6-handed.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:11 PM

I don't love his minraise, but with such short stacks, no real choice here. He could just as well have a smaller pair then you. You're going all-in no matter what, so stick it in there...
Old 07-28-2005, 03:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise Pre Flop.

The whole hand plays differently.

JJ 6-handed is an absolute MONSTER. Stop thinking this is a bad hand. I'd take JJ EVERY TIME 6-handed.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-28-2005, 03:47 PM

You got unlucky. Stop doing that and you'll be fine. Or make reads when people flop sets, but that's extremely hard to do, especially 6-handed. Betting 2/3 the pot and folding to a raise is impossible for me and a lot of players here too.

Rebuy, and get em next time.

Brad
Old 07-28-2005, 03:51 PM

everytime i get outdrawn, i just tell myself to have better cards next time, i actually make a conscious effort to flop sets and have aces in the hole...duh, hahaha.
actually, i think you should have raised rather than limp/raised with the jacks, and i agree with most of the posters on this thread
Old 07-28-2005, 04:24 PM

you limp reraised, got called, then got raised on a raggedy flop...what did you think your JJ was ahead of? Honestly.

I saw a guy get stacked 3 times last night playing similarly. He had JJ twice when he got stacked. Board looked about like this one, and twice he lost to KK, once he lost to a set. He just could not fold an overpair no matter how bad his opponent screamed at him I have AA or KK with his betting. Each time he cursed his luck and said, how can this always happen to me.

I have no reads on your opponent but if my limp reraise got called alarms would be going off in my head. You've told your opponent that you have AA or KK...you didn't but if someone limp reraises that is the first two hands i put them on. Then you led, and got raised...remember you told him I HAVE AA, he told you I DON'T CARE. that makes this a semi easy fold. Don't play your hands transparently then pay off like a slot machine when they get beat.