Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2005, 01:29 PM

Default Re: So I need to accept this job offer this week....

Craig,

I've never understood the fascination or terror associated with "time off" on a resume. People live their lives and make different choices. An employer who can't see the positives of somenoe taking some time off to do something different — or a potential employee who can't explain it as a positive — are not people I would want to work with anyway, from either side.

You only get one shot at it, you can't take any of it with you when it's over with, and you can always change the plan in progress.

I see nothing wrong with taking time off, and a lot wrong with letting other people make decisions about your life.

ElSapo
Old 12-01-2005, 03:32 PM

Taking the job is the responsible thing to do. How do you handle with doing the irresponsible?

I traveled and generally dicked around after college for 2 years. I worked during that time as a retail store manager, but it was not a career path. After I got "my life" out of my system I went into my financial planning career. I started out a little less than 4 years ago and 2006 I plan to open my own branch office. Your parents want you to be able to earn a good living. The parents of our generation are the ones who grew up on pensions and 20+years at the same company. Thats not todays marketplace. If you work hard and have drive to be entrepreneurial, then you will find your money and be ok. I did, because I can control my destiny. Some peeps dont have that.

Ask yourself this question: "Am I making an educated mature decision or am I making a short-term childish one?" This is not meant to be rude, but just a "chek yo'self" thing. If you know you've put a lot of thought into it I say go for the travels. It worked for me. Keep in mind that it worked for me because I know/knew myself very well.
Old 12-01-2005, 04:24 PM

Forget what your parents said. Essentially everything in life is "a game" if you think about it, it's just social convention that differentiates recreation from occupation.
If you are just looking to take an year off and chill out while playing poker for kicks, that's cool. On the other hand,I feel that playing poker professionally for just one year might not be the best investment of your time, especially if you're not going to keep playing after your year off.
Old 12-01-2005, 06:38 PM

I haven't read other responses so sorry if it's a repeat.

Didn't you just post you are moving down because you are down a bunch? Not able to beat 10/20.

This would worry me. Taking a year off I think is great if

A) You can retain whatever knowledge you need for your job and not be worthless
B) Can make substanially more than your job offer is gonna give. I mean at least 2x or more. You will have a lot of other costs such as all the benefits (medical, dental etc) that your job hopefully has.

I sorta wish I would have taken time off but I also am in a different situation as you. I also know my job offer probably wouldn't be here or a lot harder to get in a year out of college.
Old 12-01-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't you just post you are moving down because you are down a bunch? Not able to beat 10/20.

This would worry me

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I beat 10/20 for a good while before moving up to 20/40. And still have green numbers for that anyway.

I just moved down after taking an aweful swing b/c I couldn't handle the varience.

As for making more, I was making a fair estimate of ~2x of my salary.

-Craig
Old 12-02-2005, 08:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Taking the job is the responsible thing to do. How do you handle with doing the irresponsible?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's his life, and "responsible" and "irresponsible" are words other people use to judge decisions that aren't theirs.

[ QUOTE ]
I traveled and generally dicked around after college for 2 years. I worked during that time as a retail store manager, but it was not a career path. After I got "my life" out of my system

[/ QUOTE ]

The idea that you need to get "life" out of your system before you can start being "responsible" is really, really depressing.

Otherwise, I agree with you — the key to doing anything, in any endeavor, is knowing yourself and being honest with yourself.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

take the year off. = College of life.

you'll learn much more important stuff here. college is a huge moneymaking scam. (unless you ned a degree to become a doctor or something.

the most important lessons are ones of exprience. you'll learn about interacting successfully with all kinds of people, and you'll learn the importance of self motivation, perserverance, setbacks. all this stuff is much more important than some silly psychology 101 class.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the most important lessons are ones of exprience. you'll learn about interacting successfully with all kinds of people, and you'll learn the importance of self motivation, perserverance, setbacks. all this stuff is much more important than some silly psychology 101 class.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure this is possible. I also see a lot of poker pros who are not able to communicate, social problems, out of shape, not much motivation for anything other than maybe money, and meet, umm, poker players.
Old 12-02-2005, 10:58 AM

As a high level corporate type who manages and advises with other high level corporate types, the year off idea would really damage your future employment prospects in the eyes of the hiring managers, particularly in the field you are entering. Not just the year off, but unless you lie about why and what you did, the reason would be viewed with great skepticism. So it is not a year of poker & life vs. a year of something else.

It's more like 1 year of poker & life = potentially many years of changed employment prospects and reduced expectations. Unfortunately, your parents have a pretty good "read" on this issue. Only you can determine which is more important for you - best wishes on your choice.
Old 12-02-2005, 11:10 AM

Yes, you have just lost virtually any hope of getting the job unless you're pursuing some low or entry-level position