Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2005, 01:17 AM

Default How do you guys go on such insane downswings?

I honestly cannot understand it. Every day on this site I see some story about a 200+ BB downswing. How does this happen to so many supposedly good players? Do you tilt away 100BB? Start playing scared? Exagerate?

I've played poker for about 6 years and had one downswing of over 150BB. My pro friends almost never have a 200+ downswing (i.e., like once a decade). I understand variance, and I play a LOT. Maybe I am just insanely lucky, or maybe I just don't tilt away money when I am running poorly. But it's gotten to the point where I barely come here anymore because of the depression/paranoia that all the downswing posts threaten to generate. Before coming here, I was honestly under the impression that a really bad downswing almost never happens to an expert player, and that when it does it's really major stuff (like Doyle's).

Anyways, I'd like some thoughts on why do many players on here seem to hit major downswings so often. I have a theory (being too tight and slightly weak magnifies downswings greatly), but I'd like more opinions.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:19 AM

Default Re: How do you guys go on such insane downswings?

my theory: Anyone that goes on a downswing, it's mostly due to poor play and not variance, but you can't admit it! I play higih stakes NL and have never lost money two days in a row.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:28 AM

We are all so excited and over joyed at your awe inspiring skill as poker players. Bow down all. Are you accepting underlings to pass your knowledge on to? I will be the first in line.
Old 11-26-2005, 01:52 AM

You play in Detroit? If so, pm me.
I think much of it has to do with discipline. The discipline to stop when running bad. The discipline to stay calm in a tough game or when facing adversity. The discipline to critique your own game, to be honest with yourself at all times.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:12 AM

Location: USS George washington, Virgina, 7 months until Los Angeles

you're just very lucky.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:15 AM

Because many players here play more hands in a month than you have in your 6 year career. Also, $10/$20 live is like $1/$2 online.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Because many players here play more hands in a month than you have in your 6 year career. Also, $10/$20 live is like $1/$2 online.

[/ QUOTE ]

I play 20k hands a month online.
Old 11-26-2005, 02:35 AM

Maybe you should play someone who posts here regularly for two days in a row and see if you can keep up your "I've never lost money two days in a row" streak.

Anyway, you're either lying, on drugs, or too boastful. None of those are good (away from the poker table).
Old 11-26-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyway, you're either lying, on drugs, or too boastful. None of those are good (away from the poker table).

[/ QUOTE ]

I imagine it's something along the lines of:

Lose 150 BB
Win 50 BB
Lose 150 BB
Win 50 BB
Lose 100 BB

Whoops! That's not a 300 BB downswing because he has won money and hence been on an upswing since his last "downswing" of 150 BB! Now he can claim that his current downswing is only 100 BB!
Old 11-26-2005, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's certainly possible he's telling the truth.