Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 09-11-2005, 12:27 PM

Default 10/20: blind defense round 3, part 4 - K8o

Villain is 25/19/2.2 over a big sample. Probably 2+2.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (6 max, 2 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Button posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (4 SB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>...

Surf
Old 09-11-2005, 12:52 PM

Default Re: 10/20: blind defense round 3, part 4 - K8o

I'd raise that hand preflop hoping to steal the blinds. And heck, for value as well. How come you didn't?

On the flop I usually ch/f. But calling is also necissery to do sometimes. This hand looks like a good time for it. You have big cards compared to the flop and a backdoor flush draw. I don't know if the call is EV+, but it might be.

You are hoping that he will give up on the turn I assume? So you can take the pot down. Unfortunatly he ch/r.

When he ch/r, of course he could be doing it as a resteal, or he could fold a good PP on the turn or river when you fight back. But I just don't think that will be the case often enough. I don't have good motivation for this. It just "feels" taht way.

When OPNT is re-stealing he is investing 2 BB on the turn to win a 4 BB pot. I don't know how common a bluff that is?

This feels like a rambling post. It will be interesting to read more comments. The play is interesting and creative.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:04 PM

i'd just like to say that this is a weird hand
Old 09-11-2005, 01:07 PM

Why no raise pf? I think you need to fold to the turn cr I doubt the average 10/20 lag folds anyting you beat and has a decent hand most of the time here. I even doubt an ace high folds the turn here. I dont mind the flop call, and wouldnt mind a turn raise, but once he check raises the turn I cant see you making a better hand fold.
Old 09-11-2005, 01:18 PM

Okay, I looked at the HH again, I don't know how or why, but BB in this hand is actually the SB. It was the first hand 2handed as the table broke, and for some reason SB wasn't the button postflop. So, BB should be SB, he raised first in and hero called, but hero had position postflop. Weird.

Surf
Old 09-11-2005, 02:25 PM

Folding the flop would be bad, you can either raise the flop on this board in order to take the free card or call the flop.
Once you called the flop, betting the turn is usually bad and if you wish to bet the turn then you probably shouldn't call the flop.
People betting the turn in this kind of spot is one of my shorthanded moneymakers.
Three betting the turn is not bad, especially because your king has a lot of showdown equity vs a draw, and it gets better the higher you play as check raising is really suspicious (as you will follow through with a lot of weak hands, you should also usually bet out your strong ones)
Old 09-12-2005, 01:44 AM

Okay, so I actually wasn't the hero in this hand, I was the TAG opponent - Villain is a 50/20 who I am happy to be at the table with. We had played only played for a few hands but he seemed to be pretty predictable. I held T2o and had c/r'd the turn on a stone bluff, expecting(hoping?) anything short of A-hi to fold...he'd make some sponge-type bets that showed some sort of rationale - and he had sat with $100 at a 10/20 table.

I thought his re-steal was very interesting, and really got me thinking - what is the worst hand I call his 3bet with?

Surf
Old 09-18-2005, 07:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
-what is the worst hand I call his 3bet with?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion the only hand that you should ever checkraise this turn with would be a Q (although I wouldn't) or a pure bluff (although I would almost never). If you think he is capable of 3-betting without a Q then I would say about A4 is the lowest you should be willing to call down with. But, as I already mentioned I would either bet-call the turn with A4 or check-call is I know he will bet when checked to and will bluff raise often enough to make me uncomfortable but not so often that I would bet-call welcoming his turn raise.

Cartman