Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM

Default Re: committed to 99

[ QUOTE ]
I think playing a short stack as I described is a pretty good way to play these games. I can always rebuy, but playing a big stack actually makes hand-reading and turn and river decisions alot more important and, to some extent, rewards the more prevalent overly loose/aggressive style of most players in these games. I'd be interested in other views though, with actual analysis not "I hat short stacks" or "put a couple of ben franklins on the table and play poker". I've got a large bankroll from years of limit winnings, so short stack is not about fear of loss -- I believe it to be an optimal strategy for a newer no-limit player.

[/ QUOTE ]

See my post on "how not to play AA" for a seminar in why you should play deep stack poker. The reason you should is that these people for the most part SUCK at poker. When they misplay their hands against me, I win 200-400, when they misplay them against you, you win $20, at the same table. Any further silly questions?
Old 07-28-2005, 02:28 PM

deep stack poker allows you to capitalize on their errors on 4th and 5th street. assuming heads-up pots, when you're pushing your hands preflop you have maybe 55%-60% equity on average. you do not get to put in bets on the turn where your equity could be 75% or better or on the river where you can value bet with 100% equity. plus taking into account that the pots are generally bigger on the turn and river, the bets on those streets are bigger as well. those are a lot of sklansky bucks you're missing out on.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:33 PM

Don't raise 7.5BB UTG with 99 when you're short stacked.

(In your position), I like a limp and hope to get raised. Then re-raise hard and try to steal whats in the pot Pre flop.

This is about as poorly as you could have played this hand.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:10 PM

Or in the case of a new player like me, it allows opponents to capitalize on MY 4th and 5th street errors.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:12 PM

Basically, with my short stack, I'm trying to make the biggest bet they'll call with a weaker hand. This was a 6-handed game, with very loose and over aggressive players. I thought it was very likely I'd get played with raising to $15 and there'd be a very good chance I'd be a 3-2 or better favorite if I did get played with.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, with my short stack, I'm trying to make the biggest bet they'll call with a weaker hand. This was a 6-handed game, with very loose and over aggressive players. I thought it was very likely I'd get played with raising to $15 and there'd be a very good chance I'd be a 3-2 or better favorite if I did get played with.

[/ QUOTE ]

your hand isn't that good. with 99 i'd want some FE, hence the limp-push suggestion i made. if i had AA, then i'd open raise because i know i'm going to get callers or raisers...the more the merrier.

as for short stacks...i think i make good poker decisions. i want to maximize the number of decisions that i'm going to make. if my only decision is whether to push preflop or see a flop first, then i'm limiting how much my skill will win for me.

the more money you have on the table, the more decisions you can make in a hand and the decisions are a lot more important later on when the pot is bigger and there's more money at risk.
Old 07-28-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

actually, i'd throw a couple B. Franklins down and play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i want to 2nd and 3rd that, buy some damn chips!!!!
Old 07-28-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ultimately, I want to see if I like n/l -- at first glance, cash games seem lame to me -- lots of waiting around.

[/ QUOTE ]
I wonder if that's because the game you're playing is idiotic nut-peddling, not big-bet poker?

As for the play of the hand, what do you do with a smooth call and a 3-overcard flop? Fold and try to double up your 10BB stack, assuming you're dealt 99-AA before you get blinded out of the game?
Old 07-28-2005, 04:10 PM

Okay, I'm deliberately eliminating the complexity of the later streets by playing a short stack. As a new no limit player, I think that is to my advantage while I learn.

I think a 20BB stack is about as low as I want to go -- I normally buy in for 30-50 depending on the minimum for the game.

I felt six way that 99 was a strong enough hand to commit to -- but perhaps it was not.

But what will I do if I limp, and the button makes it $15 to go?

I'd call -- and plan to go all in on any flop that didn't have an ace.
Old 07-28-2005, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But what will I do if I limp, and the button makes it $15 to go?

[/ QUOTE ]

reraise push