Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Re: Cash Game Tips

Doing terrible in a way of losing money can always be variance. Doing terrible as in getting all your money in as an underdog is a structural problem.

The most valuable advice: post some hands here that puzzled you. Doesn't matter if you won or lost, it'll help you clarify these situations.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If your hand is a %50.0001 favorite to win, and you're facing an all-in bet, then it's correct to call in a cash game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Heads is more of a favorite than 50.0001% (over large samples of evidence). I suppose you'd want to flip a coin for large amounts of money?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would, if I had the bankroll for it. A 0.0001% edge has an EV of 10$ for every bet, if you bet $100k each time. Flip a coin 10 times a minute, 60 times an hour, for ten hours each day...
Old 07-28-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would, if I had the bankroll for it. A 0.0001% edge has an EV of 10$ for every bet, if you bet $100k each time. Flip a coin 10 times a minute, 60 times an hour, for ten hours each day...

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha, you would need an absolutely massive bankroll for that. I think an edge that small (which doesn't exist in poker, so the point is moot) is unimportant. The best play in such a situation would be to choose the option that enhances the image you want to give out.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:53 AM

Really?? I'd love to see a link to that.. Always suspected there's gotta be some weight indifference that would make one side more likely than the other.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:59 AM

You would need a bankroll that is multiple times larger than Bill Gates net worth to take advantage of an edge that small.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I find myself folding the best hand often when the original pot is small and the bettor moves in or whatever. I don't feel the need to "race" for my money at low-limit. Folding the $2 in the pot seems a better use of your time than racing for a $20 pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is flawed thinking IMO. You are missing out on a lot of opportunities. You're not neccessarily playing the hand just for $10 or even $20, you should be playing for the opportunity to take someones stack. Many times in the low limits, I've found that people go all in early or pre-flop for a variety of reasons that don't even approach logical (Ax, K7o) I see all kinds of crazy stuff.

If you are folding the best hand very often you're not making the most of you're opportunities. I may be misunderstanding you, but this sounds much too passive for no-limit.

No disrepect intended..
Old 07-28-2005, 10:16 AM

It's just a personal preference. It seems like many people on here agree with me (somewhat), in saying that racing for your money would require a bankroll substantially larger than 20X buy-ins. (I agree).

Racing for money at low-limit seems pointless. Especially when jokers nut-peddle so much.

At the higher limits.. say the Big Game.. if your bankroll is 6 Million, then racing for 100K when you are 51 to 49 is mandatory (especially when you're up against Doyle or Johnny).

Sure, it's -EV to fold the (assumed) best hand in a cash game, but I have my reasons.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:55 AM

For large amounts of money - no - because there's a good chance I'll run out. For small amounts of money, I'll definitely take even a small guaranteed edge like that. Of course in Hold'em there are rarely situations that close. Typically if you have an edge, it will be at least a few percent.

If you go all in as a favorite in a cash game and your opponent outdraws you, it sucks, but you can always rebuy. In a tournament, you're out. Therefore, there are quite a few scenarios in tournaments where you might consider folding if you think you're in a coinflip situation.

For example, you have top pair on the flop, and you put your opponent on a four-flush and an overcard. He has you covered and pushes all in; if you still have a lot of chips left, it might be worth folding in this situation if calling and losing means an early exit.

Here's another, more convincing, example. Suppose you're playing in a satellite tournement for the main event of the WSOP where the top 6 finishers win a seat into the tournament. There are 7 people remaining and you're in the big blind. It is folded to the button who goes all in. The small blind (who has exactly as many chips as the button) calls. Both players have you covered. You look down and see two red Aces. You're a favorite to win if you called, but it would be a really bad idea to do so. If you fold, it's highly likely (unless there's a chopped pot) that either the small blind or the button will get knocked out and you'll qualify.

I can't think of any analogous situation in a cash game - if you are adequately bankrolled for the game, and have an edge, there's no reason you shouldn't call. If you're worried about the swings, then this isn't a strategic issue, but more likely that you're not comfortable playing for the stakes in question or need to get more used to the nature of no-limit hold'em.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:18 AM

At a low limit cash game, buy in for the minimum and move in with any two when facing a raise in front from a good/solid player... be sure to show it down if he folds, or announce your hand afterwards....

do this and even people at low limits think you're a lag....