Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 04:34 PM

Default I used to call this

I used to fold this but after being told numerous times on this forum that it was a leak, I know fold this. I play the 27 on PS the point of this post is look at the ranges of hands here. Are you sure I am not giving up alot of value here?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (9 handed) converter

UTG+1 (t1500)
Hero (t1470)
MP2 (t1620)
MP3 (t2270)
CO (t690)
Button (t1450)
SB (t1480)
BB (t1480)
UTG (t1540)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t20, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t80</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, CO calls t80, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG calls t60.

Flop: (t270) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t200</font>, CO folds, UTG calls t200.

Turn: (t670) K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets t540</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to t1260</font>, UTG+1 calls t680 (All-In).

River: (t3150) Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 1 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t3150

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
UTG has Qh Ts (straight, ace high).
UTG+1 has Ac 5s (three of a kind, aces).
Outcome: UTG wins t3150. </font>
Old 09-08-2005, 04:55 PM

Default Re: I used to call this

Don't overcall a raise with AJo. I don't care if the flop comes AJJ from now until the second coming. It's a bad play.

Editing out frustration. Sorry. I'll take a shot at a helpful post in a moment.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:03 PM

Curious as to why this thread would be locked??
Old 09-08-2005, 05:14 PM

Always call with AJ when the flop will be AAJ.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:17 PM

Disregard the flop and result. Obviously it's irrelevant to the question of whether or not calling with AJ is a solid play.

The hands that were shown are pretty typical of bad players at this limit. The problem is that AJo is in real bad shape against the hands a lot of raising hands (and all of the raising hands of a good player). You're going to be put in an awkward position when an ace comes with 2 players in a raised pot since you will often be outkicked, not to mention facing an overpair if you make top pair with your J. With very thin straight and flush possibilities, you're almost always looking at making a little or losing a lot.

With people who play QT and A5 for a raise, you're always going to have opportunities to get action on your big hands. Just wait for them and punish these clowns when you get it.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:23 PM

One hand does not a long-term strategy make.

Easiest fold ever.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

I fold this so fast the cards make a sonic boom on the way to the muck.

By the way, most of the time if you hold AJ on that flop you'll get 0 action.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:08 PM

What all the responders are missing is what the original raiser raised with here. The important thing to get out of this hand is a note on this guy and make sure to play as many STTs as possible with him from now on.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What all the responders are missing is what the original raiser raised with here. The important thing to get out of this hand is a note on this guy and make sure to play as many STTs as possible with him from now on.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are so many of those guys at that limit you're better off following Lori's advice: only note the good players. Start off with the assumption that everyone at your table without a note is a donk. And don't sit down with any players WITH notes.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM

AJ is a good hand. Definitely worth seeing a flop here for a small price... I mean what is ahead of you here?? AK and AQ.. what are the chances he has either of these? most the time these low limit idiots are raising with hands like AT or KJ which you'll have out kickered. If they're raising with a small pairs, then there is a chance you'll be able to scare them off on the flop.

I say call the preflop bet (or even re-raising isnt awful as you'll take control of the flop) then play the rest by instincts. If you wanna be successful you can't afford to throw away hands like these especially when the flop comes AJJ [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]