Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 05:28 PM

Default AKs 5-10 6max -- Is This ALWAYS Wrong?

I was planning on raising the river until the Q came out and had a good feeling that it made him a better hand. Should I just raise the turn here and not get too tricky? Does anyone even raise the flop here?

My thoughts were... if it was a pure bluff, raising the turn might lose me 1BB, and raisng the flop will lose me 2BBs. If it was KQ, unless a Q hits the river, I make the same amount raising the turn or the river, and probably lose 1BB by raising the flop. If it was KJ, I lose the same out raising the turn or river, and maybe even more if he smooth calls a raise from me on the flop.

As you can see, I'm confused about this hand.

Party Poker 5.00/10.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(5 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG calls.

Flop: (7.40 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.70 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (6.70 BB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: 8.70 BB.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:32 PM

Default Re: AKs 5-10 6max -- Is This ALWAYS Wrong?

I think that this is a fine line to take against an aggressive villain who will bluff but can also lay down a a hand, but I think you've given up too much here against all the junk Ks and other weak hands you might be up against.

So, I think the plan is fine if you follow through with the river raise.

Against villain's who can't fold hands, even mid pairs and weird bluff, OR in a situation where there are many viable draws present, I think raising the turn tends to be better.

One problem with waiting until the river is that villain may not bet the river. Many opponents are passive. You cost yourself a bet that way. So keep this play to pointed use against aggros.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:36 PM

I think you should still raise the flop. He's not going to lay down right there, and might even call you down with TT. Get your money in when you have the best hand.

Also, there's a Heads Up &amp; Short-Handed forum that deals with 6-max hands.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops... thanks!

About the flop raise, don't you feel like you lose customers sometime with this. At the very least, I think a turn raise is a better move here.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops... thanks!

About the flop raise, don't you feel like you lose customers sometime with this. At the very least, I think a turn raise is a better move here.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Lose customers" You hand isn't strong enough to worry about losing customers. The flop is 2 suited. If you are ahead, you are vulnerable. He raised preflop but didn't cap. Ke could have KsQs, AsQs, PP T's or J's. I don't want him seeing another card for free.

LLL
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Whoops... thanks!

[/ QUOTE ]

"Lose customers" You hand isn't strong enough to worry about losing customers. The flop is 2 suited. If you are ahead, you are vulnerable. He raised preflop but didn't cap. Ke could have KsQs, AsQs, PP T's or J's. I don't want him seeing another card for free.

LLL

[/ QUOTE ]

Incorrect in my opinion.

In a heads-up, small pot, hero's hand is an absolute monster. It is entirely worthwhile to focus on maximizing value by delaying raising here.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 PM

I raise the flop right away.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I raise the flop right away.

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm... okay...

WHY!!!!!?????!!!!!
Old 09-08-2005, 07:19 PM

Is "because you have the best hand a lot of the time" too simple an answer to your question?
Old 09-08-2005, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is "because you have the best hand a lot of the time" too simple an answer to your question?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, because I want to know why the flop is the street we are choosing to raise, and not the turn or, as in this case, the river.