Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-02-2005, 04:43 AM

Default Multiple Tables

I've been running a game for a while and it keeps getting bigger. We've had as many as 14 guys at one table. I know the right thing to do is play multiple tables. We had 19 once so we had to but no one seems to know the exact rules for

1. Determining who sits at what table.
2. How do you balance the tables as players bust out.

As far as #1 goes, it seems that guys who know each other tend to sit at the same table and it's kinda like finding your seat on the subway if u dont know too many people. There's got to be some system to do it (deal cards? odd even? black red?)

As far as #2 goes, I heard that the tables should never be more than 1 person apart. I'll use numbers for this example

Table A 8 guys
Table B 6 guys (one just busted out)

A guy from Table A needs to move to Table B. I heard the rule is the guy Under The Gun on table A goes to the empty chair on table B. Do you wait for Table A to finish the hand? So it's whoever is ABOUT to be under the gun? And when the player moves to the new table, does he have to post a blind? Or he just assumes whatever position the other guy had?
Old 07-02-2005, 06:02 AM

Default Re: Multiple Tables

For 1 we use cards to cut for seating (both tables and position and initial dealer).

For 2 there are several ways to do it and it doesn't matter much as long as everyone knows how it will work. We generally do whoever at the bigger table was in the "same position" moves to the other table. So if the guy who busted out was about to be the button then who ever is about to be the button at the other table moves. The only caveat is you have to specify how you work out position since one table has more players so MP could be different depending on if you count from button backwards or from blinds forward.
Old 07-02-2005, 10:17 AM

To elaborate on using cards to determine seat position:

If you have 14 players, take out A through 7 of 2 different suits. So you will have say A-7 of hearts, A-7 of spades. Pick a seat for the ace and go clockwise around for 2-7. One table is hearts, the other table is spades. Just have them pick the cards out of a hat or something.
Old 07-02-2005, 11:41 AM

As others have said, you have to draw. There's no other way to do it. Also, we want people to mingle with others, not just sit with people they know. Our big tourneys (20-24), are as much a networking/social thing as about poker (on a side note, it's mostly computer programmers/admins and I got my current job through someone in this regular tourney. It's probably the best networking thing I've done).

Anyway, we draw with two suits (or three for three tables), and the suit determines table. Also, the host has a nicer table that is his, so whatever suit he gets goes to that table.

As for moving, we only move when there is a two person or more difference. So 8,7,7 no move. 8,7,6 we just take the person due to receive the big blind from the table with 8 and move him to the seat due to receive the BB in the 6 table. If that seat isn't open, he takes the first open seat to the left of the BB. This way, he doesn't have to post blinds twice in a row, and in fact, usually gets a few free extra hands, which helps alleviate the sting of having to move to new players.

We tried doing a deal where we did a round robin of one person every round, then every other round, but people voted not to continue it. Personally, I liked it, both for poker and social reasons. If I get stuck in a bad spot, I liked to move out of it, but majority rules.

Note: When we combine tables, either from 3 to 2 or from 2 to 1, we just redraw. We haven't really figured out another good way to do it.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 PM

Well, if you have a computer nearby or a laptop, you can just do what we do and use the Tournament Director to randomly assign seats. It gets the same effect as using cards and it's much quicker. The program can also automatically balance the tables for you. We like it because it speeds up the game a little bit and it helps us run the game smoother.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you have 14 players, take out A through 7 of 2 different suits. So you will have say A-7 of hearts, A-7 of spades. Pick a seat for the ace and go clockwise around for 2-7. One table is hearts, the other table is spades. Just have them pick the cards out of a hat or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what we do and the player that draws the A on each table is the first button position.
Old 07-03-2005, 10:23 AM

If you use two tables, which you should if you get up to 12 or more, do the following (which is what we do)

1. Use two suits of cards and count out the correct number for each table. Mix the two suits together and have everyone draw from them. You would have told everyone which suit means which table beforehand. We let the Ace decide where he/she will sit and then the other cards fall in line to the left.

2. We mover players around when a table has a total player difference of two or more players. So, if one table had 4 and the other had six, it's time to combine. Or, when you simply get to a total of 10 (5 and 5) then you combine. I know, it's simple.
Old 07-04-2005, 04:40 PM

Thanks for the info. Is the Tournament Director a software program?
Old 07-04-2005, 04:43 PM

that's great. We're adopting that! And also the Ace picking his seat first.
Old 07-05-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the info. Is the Tournament Director a software program?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yep. http://www.thetournamentdirector.net Good stuff, I highly recomend it.