Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Re: A solution for all the America haters out there

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm aware your post was intended to be funny

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah! You get it and win the prize!! Would you like a window seat? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't obvious enough in the OP that you were picking a fight? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2005, 08:35 PM

Since this has turned serious...

[ QUOTE ]
The war in Afghanistan was a necessary result of the 9/11 attack on America. We had to eradicate the nest of devils who were using that country to plan and launch and coordinate the downfall of our nation.

The same can't be said of the war in Iraq. As evil as Saddam was, he posed no imminent threat to us, and he was essentially incapable of aiming more than rhetoric at his neighbors.

So, what caused the war in Iraq?

The obvious answer is that it was an evil plot by the Bush administration, and that is partly true. We know that Bush lied to us about the reasons for going to war when we did, and we now know that the aftermath has been terribly mismanaged and that we are in a mess. However, merely blaming Bush and his cronies let's us all off way to easy.

The Bushies should definitely be held accountable for their sins, for they are many, but the rest of us must own up to our own complicity. Afghanistan was for our safety, but Iraq was mostly about our unrestrained need for oil. In short, Iraq was about our greed, and we have to come to grips with that fact.

Are everyday Americans really ready to admit our own part in creating the conditions that led to the Iraq war? I don't think so, at least not yet. Most of us would rather continue on our carefree, energy-and-resource-consuming ways and let the problems remain "over there" and thus out of mind.

As a society, we still think the cost in dollars is of no concern (let future generations pay the bill) and the loss of life is still at an acceptable level (after all, they were volunteers). As long as we don't have to give up our SUVs and all of the other excesses we think define "the American way of life," and as long as we don't have to see the body bags, we can remain in denial.

So, we're probably still a ways away from admitting that we, the energy gluttons of the world, are all part of the dynamic that got us into this mess in Iraq.

We are finally beginning to sense that things are not well with our world, though. For a while we will play the blame game, and that will make us feel better, and it might be good for Democrats politically since the Bushies are due extra blame for their misguided actions.

But, it won't stop the nagging realization that our pursuit of happiness is being paid for by someone else, though, and that our cocoon of safety and prosperity can't last.

Perhaps we will find a temporary salve by bringing the Iraq situation to some sort of conclusion that allows us to bring the troops home, and that gives us access to Iraqi oil for years to come, and let's us get back to using resources and pursuing the good times fulltime without distraction.

However, the underlaying problem will still be with us, and it is us and our way of life. Ultimately, the American people are going to have to face that truth, and then perhaps we can begin the long process of getting ourselves out of this mess we have created.

We will have to transform our society into something new ... a free people striving for meaningful lives, with enough to go around for everyone, and living in harmony with one another, other nations, and the planet.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.tpmcafe.com/story/2005/6/18/12234/3664
Old 06-20-2005, 10:46 PM

Default Re: you obviously hate America

[ QUOTE ]
I never mentioned Bush.

[/ QUOTE ]
I didn't say you did. I said that the Right labels people as America Haters if they disagree with Bush or some policy or action of the US.

[ QUOTE ]
You’re right; I’m incapable of actually saying what I mean (unlike you). It’s just a vast conspiracy!

[/ QUOTE ]

You may be incapable of saying what you mean. I'm pretty sure I've seen you refer to America Haters in other threads. Are you mocking RW idiots? Because a number of people immediately jumped into the thread to attack the so-called America Haters. It seems they didn't realize you were joking.

If you were mocking them, I apologize. As you can see, there are so many people who spout this nonsense sincerely, its hard to tell the people mocking this nonsense from the real deal.
Old 06-20-2005, 10:48 PM

Default Re: you obviously hate America

[ QUOTE ]
Correction to Kurto - I did mention Bush

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a problem. Like I said, if you didn't, others have made the same claims. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] And I'm disagreeing with that whole notion rathar then specifically just your post.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:17 PM

Default Re: LIberalism is Losing.....American is Shifting Back Towards its Roo

[ QUOTE ]
Carter EASILY makes my top five in worst US presidents (Carter, Grant, Harding, Buccanon(sp?), ???).

[/ QUOTE ]
Grant, and Harding, yes, hands down. But Carter did help broker peach btwn Egypt and Israel (which granted, I probably value more than you).

Buchanan, maybe. I would have to say:

1) JFK -- clearly the worst ever (and this is coming from a liberal)
2) [not saying]
3) Harding
4) Hoover
5) Grant
Old 06-20-2005, 11:29 PM

Default Re: LIberalism is Losing.....American is Shifting Back Towards its Roo

Carter bought peace at a huge cost in Foreign aid. What he did also paved the way for the rebelion in Iran.

Coolidge should be in that list somewhere.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I quite like "America"... but think Bush is a complete and utter twat.

[/ QUOTE ]
Not possible. Yr either with us or against us. If you don't love Bush then you hate America -- it's really that simple.

In closing, why do you hate freedom?

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, are you being serious and ridiculing the left, or are you being facetious and goofing on the right?

One way, you're an idiot, the other way, you're alright!

-ptmusic
Old 06-21-2005, 12:18 AM

Default Re: Slamdunkpro is welcome to stay

[ QUOTE ]
We need more "Nazis" like him. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Jeez....after listening to liberal fruitcakes call people Nazis for the 1000th time it starts getting funny. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

And after hearing all the right wing conservatives call liberals names for the 10,000th time, it starts getting annoying.

-ptmusic
Old 06-21-2005, 03:17 AM

Rick Santorum and Pat Buchanan have both recently called the left nazis... but there's nary a peep about that. They pretend its one sided.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Rick Santorum and Pat Buchanan have both recently called the left nazis... but there's nary a peep about that. They pretend its one sided.

[/ QUOTE ]
You are a good dem kurto.
I like the way you repeat stuffover and over again. Even if its false. Words like "torture' that you throw in 10 times a post.
This latest one is one of my favorites.
you have mentioned this Santurom and Buchannon thing about 15 times over the last few days.
As usual you leave out the reality.
Both Rick and Pat were chastised by THEIR OWN PARTY !!
Both apologised.as they should have. If you watched a legit news source you wouuld know that. Try Fox.
You won't sound so ignorant