Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: My own experiences...

Nice post.

Personally, I use to like running the deck multiple times because it was a novelty to me at the time and I've heard how it lowers variance and all that crap. However, I'll only run it if I feel like it benefits me. I've had a hand where I flopped a TPOESFD (Top Pair Open Ended Straight Flush Draw) against AA. After I pushed and he called, he didn't have a flush draw, he asked if I wanted to make a deal, I said no, let's just run it once. It was a ~$8000, I hit 2 pair on the river. Other times, I've ran it thrice and lost all 3 times.

I've played w/ Bobby on two separate occasions and I didn't realize who he was the first time. His face looked familiar and I thought he was famous somehow but just couldn't put the pieces together. Then, the second time, couple people said, "Hey Bobby", and I then knew that he was Bobby Hoff. He's tough. We were playing short-handed for a while and he kept picking off all my bluffs and weak bets. Even when I bet w/ a pretty decent hand he would put me to the test. When I held a strong hand he rarely paid me off. He kept attacking and straddling. Whenever I tried a move on his straddle he would just call and outplay me on the flop. I didn't like playing against him but I knew I was learning somehow. Even if I was losing.

It's funny, I'm not sure if you coined the term 'Mecca' as El Diablo stated but I've heard a couple people say that out loud when I was playing 10-20. One of them said something like, "There's no other place in the world to play poker, is there? This is the Mecca!!!" I found that to be pretty amusing because I kept thinking this dude might be a 2+2'er and I've never played w/ a 2+2'er that I knew was a 2+2'er. I'm sure I have in the past at one time or another, but I don't know for sure.

So yeah, good post and the next time I play and see someone like you I'll introduce myself as 'stanky' or better yet say 'sup bro?' in your general direction and if you nod or something I'll know it's you. I probably won't be sitting in the 20-40 game for a while but I might take another shot if I hit a nice run at 10-20.

GL.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, I'll only run it if I feel like it benefits me.

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? jkinetic had it 100% right. If you are playing above your roll and want to minimize your risk of busting, running it simply allows you to lower your variance.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What do you mean by this? jkinetic had it 100% right. If you are playing above your roll and want to minimize your risk of busting, running it simply allows you to lower your variance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does running the deck mean you take like best 2 out of 3, or does it mean if you win 1 out of 3, you get 1/3 the pot, etc...
Old 06-14-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
if you win 1 out of 3, you get 1/3 the pot, etc...

[/ QUOTE ]yes.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Mecca 20-40

This is a ridiculously easy call, it practicially doesn't even matter how much money you have behind.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I understand this and agree. What I meant was that I'm not going to run it more than once from now on if it doesn't benefit me. So as long as I'm the favorite when the hands are flipped up, running it once is fine with me. If I'm the dog w/ the flush draw or straight draw or whatever, then I won't object to running it more than once. This is all given w/ the fact being that I'm not playing above my roll.

But yes, if I'm playing w/ a big chunk of my roll on the table, then running it more than once seems suffice.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not going to run it more than once from now on if it doesn't benefit me. So as long as I'm the favorite when the hands are flipped up, running it once is fine with me. If I'm the dog w/ the flush draw or straight draw or whatever, then I won't object to running it more than once.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstand the impact of running it multiple times. It doesn't benefit you when you're a dog or hurt you when you're a favorite. Your EV remains the same.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You misunderstand the impact of running it multiple times. It doesn't benefit you when you're a dog or hurt you when you're a favorite. Your EV remains the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

In the long run, yes, my EV remains the same. However, in the short run? EV remains the same?
Old 06-14-2005, 04:52 PM

Umm, yeah. Unless you're counting the chance of busting out and missing out on future +EV situations.

EV is EV is EV, long or short run
Old 06-14-2005, 06:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In the long run, yes, my EV remains the same. However, in the short run? EV remains the same?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

This is not meant to rip on you, but it seriously amazes me how many people who play high-stakes NL don't understand basic concepts of odds/probability/statistics. I say this wrt much broader concepts than running it multiple times.