Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 09:36 AM

Default How to Play the Early Big Stack

I have had some trouble handling a big stack when I accumulate early with AK or AA. I double up to somewhere around 1700-2000 early, but it always eventually widdles down and im down to minus ten blinds on the bubble with 4or 5 left and its like, whats the advantage to doubling through early? any tips on these particlar sitauations?
Old 11-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Default Re: How to Play the Early Big Stack

If I double up in the first hand I play lvl 1-2 as if I had a T800 stack. You don't have a big advantance in the first levels (You don't bust as easily of course) - or atleast I'm not exploiting it. I just sit back and wait for good hands. In lvl 3 and up you can put pressure on the other stacks.

To sum up: There is no need to get more aggressive and fancy than you would be with a T800 (T1000) stack.
Old 11-04-2005, 09:45 AM

Don't play any differently. The tendency is to loosen up your play but you're not going to push around any donks, since they don't know what's good or bad anyway.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If I double up in the first hand I play lvl 1-2 as if I had a T800 stack. You don't have a big advantance in the first levels (You don't bust as easily of course) - or atleast I'm not exploiting it. I just sit back and wait for good hands. In lvl 3 and up you can put pressure on the other stacks.

To sum up: There is no need to get more aggressive and fancy than you would be with a T800 (T1000) stack.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree.

no need to change your gameplan with the blinds still so low.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:14 AM

1. as others have said play lower levels the same

2. remember that stealing blinds (that are significant) is part of optimal strategy.

So steal 1-2x per orbit at level 4 do it again at level 5 and you're stack will be at least the same as it was after your big score

3. when you see me at your table just sit out and give up.

Straight Flushes,

SAM
Old 11-04-2005, 10:21 AM

having a big stack in sng's is overrated. this is because you're still limited in the types of moves you can do, as well as the fact that your opponents have relatively small stacks compared to the blinds. having a big stack comes into play in larger buy in events like say the WSOP where you start with 10000 chips.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:34 AM

The big advantage of having a big stack is having people covered on the bubble, especially with regard to blind stealing.

Don't worry about loosening up or anything like that, just keep the above in mind.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:39 AM

I tighten up a tad. I'm not looking to make a bunch of postflop continuation bets. What I stand to gain pushing small edges is just some chips, what I stand to lose is the FE I have otherwise already secured when the bubble comes.
Old 11-04-2005, 10:43 AM

The problem with having a healthy stack is the temptation to steal blinds to keep it healthy. You'd be better off just assuming that you have more time to wait for a quality hand than the others and refrain from being overly aggressive.

Indy
Old 11-04-2005, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The problem with having a healthy stack is the temptation to steal blinds to keep it healthy. You'd be better off just assuming that you have more time to wait for a quality hand than the others and refrain from being overly aggressive.

Indy

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only true if you feel like you are going to loosen up too much. It is better to play the same than loosen too much. But better than both of those is to loosen a little bit [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]