Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Push or Fold
Pooosh its off 5 31.25%
Fold 10 62.50%
not sure 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2005, 07:36 AM

Default Real life moral dilemna

This is a true story, I forgot where I heard it but even if I'm making it up it's gotta be true. You'll see what I mean.

Guy dates crazy chick and long story short she gets a restraining order against him whereby if he talks to her or is around her he is defacto guilty of a crime.

Remember, she is mentally ill.

She calls him up one night and tells him she is committing suicide and he has to come over right away and save her.

Remember, he has already committed a crime just by talking to her, just by picking up the phone. You probably don't think that is true, but in some jurisdictions it is.

So whether he tries to save her by going to her house, or by calling the police, he will either be admitting to a crime by calling the police or breaking the restraining order further by going to her house.

Also realize that since she is mentally ill there is a very good chance she may in fact kill herself.

Also note that since she is mentally ill there is a very good chance she is setting the guy up for a trip to jail.

Also note that the police and prosecutors don't care about anything other than the literal interpretation of the court order and will prosecute the guy to the full extent of the law no matter what the circumstances.

Also note for the purposes of this discussion that you cannot infer guilt of any sort on the part of the guy since restraining orders are handed out with absolutely no burden of proof of any kind in many jurisdictions.

Also note that any indirect contact, for example calling one of her friends or family, is also a violation of the court order.

Also note that at this point the only sure way the guy has of staying out of jail is for her to die, since she may wake up tomorrow and decide to call the police and report a contact, for which he has no defense, whether her report is true or not.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:40 AM

Default Re: Real life moral dilemna

The answer to this is easier than you make it sound. Of course, the option is the man's choice, if he doesn't value her life he can let her die. However, the man can easily call the police and tell them she called him threatening to kill herself with no real fear of repercussion. I voted yes, I would just call the police and tell them the truth. (and this is from the perspective of a law student who doesn't really have much love, respect, or trust for the police.)
Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, the man can easily call the police and tell them she called him threatening to kill herself with no real fear of repercussion.

[/ QUOTE ]

If he does this, for the purposes of this discussion, he is guaranteed to be arrested and charged with violating the restraining order.

Like I said, this would not happen everywhere, but would happen in some parts of the US.

Also, to add some flavor, you can assume this would be his 3rd such violation, and as such, a felony.
Old 08-31-2005, 07:49 AM

Its hard to see a moral dilemma here. Most would agree that the right thing to do is to try to help her and the only sensible way to do this is to call the authorities.

[ QUOTE ]
Also note that the police and prosecutors don't care about anything other than the literal interpretation of the court order and will prosecute the guy to the full extent of the law no matter what the circumstances.

[/ QUOTE ]

More fool them. I would say that standing up to this kind of stupidity is a moral act in itself but I know I'm wierd.

Even so the fact you fear doing the right thing just makes it a question of how couragous you are, and doesn't stop it from being the right thing to do.

chez
Old 08-31-2005, 07:51 AM

Alright, although I think this is somewhat of an unrealistic scenario, in anywhere in the country, like saying some girl is about to jump off a building, and if you save her, she'll claim you raped her - and you'll be convicted.

For the sake of the discussion, if you will be significantly wronged, let her die.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
More fool them. I would say that standing up to this kind of stupidity is a moral act in itself but I know I'm wierd.

Even so the fact you fear doing the right thing just makes it a question of how couragous you are, and doesn't stop it from being the right thing to do.

chez

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay then I'm weird too, just because the world is run by cu%&s doesn't mean I have to be one as well.

Mack
Old 09-01-2005, 12:49 AM

Where in the US would thsi happen, hypothetical bull [censored] is fine but dont say its true because its not. This doesnt make sense.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:05 AM

Yeah, no matter how dumb the law can be some time, no cop or judge is going to lock you up for calling them and reporting what's going on.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:07 AM

wait why did everyone choose yes? She got a restraining order out on me and know I'm suppossed to help her?

[censored] that bitch
Old 09-01-2005, 04:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Where in the US would thsi happen, hypothetical bull [censored] is fine but dont say its true because its not. This doesnt make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read the Seattle newspaper online regularly. You're bound to come across and editorial or something about zero tolerance for domestic violence and how if the victim refuses to cooperate with police after the initial report the victim will be prosecuted.

Look it up.

Hopefully wisconsin is a bit saner.