Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2005, 03:59 AM

Default Raising after a limper

Here is a theory question.

How do you adjust your open raising standards if someone limps in.

Say a fish limps in the hijack, which hands do you now fold from the CO that you would have raised if fish would have folded?

-blake
Old 10-17-2005, 04:18 AM

Default Re: Raising after a limper

[ QUOTE ]
Say a fish limps in the hijack, which hands do you now fold from the CO that you would have raised if fish would have folded?

[/ QUOTE ]

I usually dump 44, 55, QTo, JTo, T8s, 98s and sometimes K9o, A7o. Something like that. A lot also depends on how loose/tight the button and blinds play. If they are very loose I might limp with some of the suited hands. If they are overly tight I'm more likely to raise most of the hands I listed. Also, fwiw, I have no idea how right or wrong this is. Good question though...

___1___
Old 10-17-2005, 04:37 AM

I think I don't raise wiht my "trash" my standards become A8o+ 77+ limping behind with 22-66, raise KTo+ K9s+ limping behind K5s+, raising QTs+, limping behind with QTo raising QJo.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually dump 44, 55, QTo, JTo, T8s, 98s and sometimes K9o, A7o. Something like that. A lot also depends on how loose/tight the button and blinds play. If they are very loose I might limp with some of the suited hands. If they are overly tight I'm more likely to raise most of the hands I listed. Also, fwiw, I have no idea how right or wrong this is. Good question though...

[/ QUOTE ]
I usually don't play 6-max but folding 44/55/98s seems awfully tight to me, limp or maybe raise depending on the players yet to act. I would not limp K9o/A7o. Whether to raise or fold is depending on the blinds/button, but I think I'm most often raising. The other hands listed is maybe a bit more marginal, but I'm seeing a flop with them frequently here.

EDIT: notice that we're only up against a fish and 3 random hands.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:07 AM

It is also important to consider domination factor with limpers hand.

I have been trying to get some kind of rule of thumb down in this spot vs unknowns.

I don't limp behind here very often, just because I think the blinds are almost always tight enough to warrant raising.

I am not sure hands like 22 turn a profit here without raising preflop, I like fold or raise.

I think I tighten up my raising standards between 1-3 seats depending on the limper. For example, If I am button and Hijack limps I pretend I am hijack, maybe CO, maybe mp3 depending on how loose hijack is.

This is kinda a rule, but some hands that I would only raise from button (this is also game/blind dependant; so those things are already accounted for in hand selection) stay raising hands, while others become folding hands.

I think the majority of my range tightens up at least 1 seat though.

limpers post flop skills are very important to consider, but when in doubt in this situation I assume fishy.
If I have a read, a good range for me to play is easier to find.

-blake
Old 10-17-2005, 12:03 PM

I will over limp 55 and down.66 limp or raise. 77 raise. play all Axs hands some limp some raise depending on who I am playing. Raise ant two face cards. Js q9s k8s limp or raise. A9 raise A8 fold or raise. 87s limp.

Miss read the question a bit. I dump these which I would normaly steal with
Axo K7s k9o j9 q9o
Old 10-17-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would fold ace-little offsuit, small pairs, and medium connectors like T9o/s which I might or might not have openraised depending on the tightness of the button and blind.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:29 PM

Very good question. I think I've been screwing this up. I usually dump A8-A2o. But the rest really depends on the table.

Generally, I've been overlimping, like K10o, QJo, J10o, Q9s. And I tend to raise any pair 88 and up (and J10s and up), while limping with all other pairs.

In the past, though, I've been told not to overlimp so much, and raise those hands that I would have open-raised with in the first place.

Here's the particular proposition I'd like debated: when utg or mp limps, and you are in mp or the co, should you raise any hand that you would have open-raised with?
Old 10-17-2005, 12:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Very good question. I think I've been screwing this up. I usually dump A8-A2o. But the rest really depends on the table.

Generally, I've been overlimping, like K10o, QJo, J10o, Q9s. And I tend to raise any pair 88 and up (and J10s and up), while limping with all other pairs.

In the past, though, I've been told not to overlimp so much, and raise those hands that I would have open-raised with in the first place.

Here's the particular proposition I'd like debated: when utg or mp limps, and you are in mp or the co, should you raise any hand that you would have open-raised with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Against tight blinds/button, I would raise A8/A7, fold all smaller offsuit aces. If you hit an ace, your side card will be in the top 50% of kickers, so HU I'm willing to go to show down if I pair my ace, even if the villain is showing aggression.

I would also raise the small offsuit Broadways that you are overlimping. If you make a pair here, there's a decent chance that, even with a weak kicker, your top pair/middle pair hand can be good, particularly if you can fold 1 or more blinds and get the field small.

I think overlimping against a single player is generally a mistake. You give up too much by not raising. You have less chance to bluff. You have more of a chance of getting bluffed. And your marginal holdings have less of a chance of being good at showdown in multiway pots.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:40 PM

I think depends on the players acting behind you. If they are extremely tight than I will be raising small pp's and any ace to isolate the fish. If the blinds are really loose passive I think we can limp small pp's for set value.