Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: Favorite ignorances

#1, I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a list of personal favorite ignorances. I know nothing about most women's sports and have no interest in learning any more so that puts it near the top of any list of "favorite ignorances" for me.

#2 There are differences. They often have different rules (shorter courses in the LPGA, women's hockey has no checking etc.) The level of competition is also less.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:53 PM

Sorry, the response was mostly aimed at Blarg's third category. I realized afterwards that you were likely in the "don't care don't care don't care" crowd, but didn't feel like editing.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
#1, I'm pretty sure this is supposed to be a list of personal favorite ignorances. I know nothing about most women's sports and have no interest in learning any more so that puts it near the top of any list of "favorite ignorances" for me.

#2 There are differences. They often have different rules (shorter courses in the LPGA, women's hockey has no checking etc.) The level of competition is also less.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, women play sports?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:04 PM

Faulkner is a really good one.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

12. Fixing stuff. I could learn more about working on cars or fixing plumbing or such -- but I don't want to. I hate paying people to do it for me, but not as much as I hate learning it, and doing it, myself. I can change my oil and my filters in my car, and handle my tires; that's good enough for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its fine not to know everything about cars as long as you know the basics and can fix a flat tire. Its also very good to be able to fix stuff around the house. Yes this is coming from the guy that couldn't figure out how to hang a wall clock (I didn't see the damn hole in the back, and anyway a nail didn't hold it).

I agree about Faulkner and a lot of other writers. I just can't stomach it. I hate others a lot more than Faulkner though. Pretty much anybody that wrote in the Victorian era. I don't get all of the nuances of the writing and I don't want to. I don't want to know that Fagan's gang in Oliver Twist also work as child prostitutes. (HAHA! FAGan's gang!!!! GET IT???) I also can't read Jane Eyre or Pride and Prejudice or anything like that

As for football, you don't have to be intelligent about it to appreciate it. You just have to be a man.

The ballet: [censored] it

Opera: I am ignorant about this too but I still like to hear it every now and then. And besides, other languages are very nice to hear when sung properly.

Female sports: [censored] em

Celebrities: [censored] em

feminism : [censored] it

feminazis : double [censored] it

presidents dog: cool with me

religious occasions: really more about getting together with your loved ones than the the actual religious crap. At least, that's whwy I've come to appreciate them even though i'm atheist
I will add my own and that is baseball. The most boring sport there is until playoff time. The season's way too long and the game lacks strategy. Definitely my least favorite sport of the major american ones.

PS great post
Old 10-04-2005, 05:24 PM

I take no pride in my ignorance, though I have a lot to spare. Different things appeal to different people. Your first type of ignorance is pretty much all I got, but it can't really be a favorite, since it's just a list of things that I wish I had time to take an interest in. I think that would make a good thread. The other two, which seem to be dominant, seem like things that appeal to/ are interesting to others but don't appeal to/ are not interesting to you. That would be a decent thread as well. the fact that it's about favorites means it's becoming more of a "I'm ignorant, and I'm proud" kind of thread, which is a bit more annoying.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Foreign films. If they are not good enough to be made in English why should I bother to watch.

[/ QUOTE ]There's a lot of GREAT foreign films. Try: City of God, Run Lola Run, Life is Beautiful, Amores Perros, Rififi, Amelie, or Rashomon (mostly different genres, so if you don't like one, don't assume the rest are bad).
Old 10-04-2005, 05:53 PM

1. The masturbatory habits of the members of OOT, which has been a hot topic on this forum of late.

polltard
Old 10-04-2005, 06:26 PM

Journey
Old 10-04-2005, 07:48 PM

Okay, this thread is mostly turning out to be a way for people to show off their prejudices, which is fine I guess, so I'll show mine off too.

1. Online video games. Seriously, people kill themselves with this crap, and a lot of the current indifference to quality cultural resources and institutions probably stems from the craze for instant gratification and stimulus.

2. TV. Same thing.

3. Stocks. I'm a stick in the mud and I don't like gambling unless I have an edge and I'm pretty sure nobody's cheating me. I'll work for my paycheck, thanks.

4. Contemporary folk music, 'heavy rock' and country. The old stuff is almost always better.

There aren't a lot of things I'm proud to be ignorant about, that's probably close to all of it.

NT