Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 03:20 PM

Default 2/4 Party BBJ - weak flush play

I'm not sure if I mean that my flush was weak, or that my play was as well, that's why I post it here:

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (7.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, Hero calls.

River: (12.50 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

<font color="white"> I won, beating AA and J4o </font>
Old 06-09-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: 2/4 Party BBJ - weak flush play

Flop looks like an easy raise, for value and for a free card.

I really don't understand your turn call. You're missing out on loads of bets and letting Tc+ see the turn for one bet, what gives? You wont gain anything by being deceptive here.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:39 PM

Raise the flop.

Not raising the turn cost you multiple bets. Bleh.

Stick it to 'em while they're drawing and will still call.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:42 PM

Your play was weak, raise it up, flop and turn.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:43 PM

oh man oh man. I would be salivating like someone who slobbers alot here. I think the call PF is ok because with this many people already in, even for another bet our call is probably +EV. On the flop we have a 4-flush back door str8 and str8 flush draws. Suhweet. I think our made flush is good here 90% (at least) so overall I say we are at least 30% faves (more if we count our backdoor outs, 35%-38%ish) to win this hand. I think we need to raise for value now that the field is trapped here and since we're getting four to 1 on our bet we're happy. On the turn as it was played, I think this a clear raise again. We want to charge people with big clubs, and the field is trapped for four more big ones and you almost certainly have the best hand. River would be different with this early raising, but this looks good. I would just call a 3-bet from sb I think as TT and JJ (although unlikely) are certainly possible (of course we would know better if we had raised on earlier streets) . [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-09-2005, 03:43 PM

Maybe I'm laggy but I'm raising flop and/or turn there.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:49 PM

you should be capping that flop if possible

you should be capping that turn if possible

if you're allergic to money you might have saved your own life with this hand.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:58 PM

Question for the repliers. If you know that raising the flop will make everyone check/call (or fold) down the rest of the way do you smooth play the flop and raise the turn, or still raise the flop?
Old 06-09-2005, 04:02 PM

Seeing as how I don't have a made hand yet, I have no qualms about them checking to me on later streets. I am raising now because I have an equity edge and am earning money on every bet that goes into the pot on the flop. However, this will not be the case on later streets unless I make my hand. So getting to see a free river, or having everyone fold to a turn bet (when I miss) would be a big plus. Sure, when I hit my flush I don't get bet into. But I'm missing my flush twice as often as I'm making it, so I'm cool with getting my profit on the flop bets and seeing a free river if I miss the turn, and a lot of weak players will go into a shell when the flush card comes anyway, whether or not I raised the flop, because, you know, three flush on the board, "someone has to have it".
Old 06-09-2005, 04:30 PM

Yeah, I'd been running kind of bad and was focusing on how I might be already beaten (it had been a tight passive table, so all this action was confusing me). In retrospect, raising any time I got the chance should have been obvious to me.

Ironically, this hand started a massive ($300, so 75BB) upswing for me. Which would have been more massive if I'd bet the hell out of this hand like I should have.

It looks like I'm still having problems with raising draws for value (the last hand I posted here, I raised a draw for value where I shouldn't have).

Anyone have any reading recommendations?

Thanks for your posts.