Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Worst TV plays ever

Which absolutely atrocious moves stand out in your mind as some of the lousiest plays someone could make?

Of course, there have been many.

But some recent ones are:
1) Tommy Reed infamously check-folds a set on the turn.
2) Ted Forrest doesn't bet AA on the river against DN's AQ on a 66xA6 board.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:44 AM

Default Re: Worst TV plays ever

Murphy pushing into Arieh's rivered K high flush

Tuan Le... everything he does

Hoyt Corkins' hand against Cassidy in the USPC with the A and trip jacks
Old 08-16-2005, 11:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? That wasn't a bad play at all. It's ridiculous of you to even say that.

By the way, from the way you are naming these plays "Murphy pushing into Arieh's flush" you make it sound as if Murphy knew what Arieh had. It's pretty stupid of you to evaluate plays based on the results, or based on the actual holding of the opponent. And it makes it pretty obvious that you have a deep lack of understanding of poker.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Are you kidding? That wasn't a bad play at all. It's ridiculous of you to even say that.

By the way, from the way you are naming these plays "Murphy pushing into Arieh's flush" you make it sound as if Murphy knew what Arieh had. It's pretty stupid of you to evaluate plays based on the results, or based on the actual holding of the opponent. And it makes it pretty obvious that you have a deep lack of understanding of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

All I know is that his boat will never get paid off past the first day of the WSOP by anyone but a moron
Old 08-16-2005, 12:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I know is that his boat will never get paid off past the first day of the WSOP by anyone but a moron

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah, I forgot that all the players that make it deep into the WSOP are very weak-tight and predictable.

And of course you were there so you know Murphy's table image, and you know Arieh's table image, and you know whether Murphy had been making overbets, and you know whether Arieh had been playing sheriff, and you know exactly what pot odds Murphy is laying, and you know how the table was playing and whether the increased stack size would have allowed Arieh to greatly bully the table. Since you know all these things already, it would be kind of silly for me to point out that they are factors.

My bad.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:54 PM

I remember a WPT event where Scotty Nguyen re-raised all-in against John Stolzmann (college student from Wisconsin who won the event). This is the hand as described on poker-babes.com:

John raised to $200,000 on the button with K8 of clubs. Scotty reraised all-in for over a million with 98 of spades. John thought for a second and then said he had to call because of the pot. He called his last $370,000 in chips and doubled up through Scotty when he flopped a king.

I'm sure that this isn't the WORST play ever, but as I was watching it, I was immediately struck by how dumb Scotty's play was. If Stolzmann didn't call, he would've have been the shortstack by far at the table. If I remember correctly, Daniel Negreanu was like, "that was so stupid" as soon as the hand was over.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:46 PM

I was actually thinking Hoyt's earlier hand with D'Agastino. 97s i think, and he pushes all in PF to steal the blinds. Of course, it paid off...
Old 08-16-2005, 01:51 PM

einbert, you are so WRONG here. This is without a doubt one of the worst tv plays ever. Arieh was calling the bets Murphy made before the river which is the first tell to a draw. Also, it was clear that Arieh was one of the most, if not the most, aggressive player left in the tournament. Why bet into him if it is possible with the river heart he made a flush, especially holding the nuts. The only POSSIBLE way Murphy gets no money out of Arieh is to go "all in." So why do it? Despite what tv implies their is a thing called "VALUE BETTING." Your theory on this hand is so stupid that you practically prove my point. "Oh yeah, I forgot that all the players that make it deep into the WSOP are very weak-tight and predictable," exactly why he should have checked to Arieh, so he would bet.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:07 PM

you guys are all idiots, murphy (anyone for that matter) has to think arieh is calling here with his made flush, arieh makes a great play and murphy played the hand well.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:07 PM

Yes, checking (with the intention to raise) or value betting >>>>> pushing in in that spot. Replace josh with a total donkey and pushing in (knowing donkey likely made a flush and will call) isn't as bad. Against Arieh every other option is superior.